Setting the value of hou.HDADefinition.hideDefaultParameters

2552   3   1
789 posts
Hello all,

Does anyone know how I can set the value in an hda definition that will hide the default parameters?

I am generating an HDA based on a /obj subnetwork and I would like to hide the transform and subnet tabs from the parameters.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,
Koen
1908 posts
Unfortunately that information is basically just there for backwards compatibility since Houdini 9. Even if you could set it to being True it wouldn't actually work anymore due to the nature of changes to how parameters are done and whatnot. Unfortunately there really isn't a great alternative to doing it as if you use HOM you are painfully aware of how annoying it is to try and deal with folder parameters.

Depending on how well your asset is cooperating you may be able to access the ParmTemplates for the folders and possible try setting them as hidden. I however never have luck with this because I think it's pretty buggy and most of the time it fails to find hou.Parm.containingFolderSetParmTemplates().

You might also be lucky enough that the actual folder switcher parm shows up when doing hou.Node.parmTuples(). If it does you can attempt to call hou.ParmTuple.hide(True) on it. However for me it gives me one that isn't really there so is useless.

Maybe not the ideal way, but one that will at least work is to create an asset out of a Subnet, hide the default folders through the GUI yourself, then save out the dialog script section, hou.HDADefintion.sections().contents(), to a file, then read that file in and use setContents() to set the preferred dialog script. This is what I ended up doing for the Auto Rig tools back in the day. As I said it's not terribly ideal, but it does offer a solution that will always work.
Graham Thompson, Technical Artist @ Rockstar Games
789 posts
Thanks Graham,

I think I will just live with the extra folders. I had found the “ghost” folders you get when going through the tuple of parameters, unfortunately, the real folders did not show up.

I'll put in an RFE,

Cheers,
Koen
89 posts
graham
hou.HDADefintion.sections().contents()

That's really cool, I think I've reinvented the wheel several times over trying to do that
  • Quick Links