Houdini and GNOME/Red Hat 8+

6034   8   0
483 posts
Hi everyone. I'm Joe Drew, a programmer at Side Effects Software, and I was just as annoyed as you that Houdini didn't work in GNOME.

Well, I tracked down the bug and fixed it today. So, when a future version of Houdini Apprentice is released, you will be able to use whichever desktop you like.

Hope this is good news to some people!

Joe
4140 posts
Hi Joe - thanks for addressing this - I assume this was the crash whenever the standard Save/Discard/Cancel requestor came up? It's worth pointing out, however, that metacity(the default Gnome window manager in RH8/9) won't let you control much in the way of key equivs. The upshot is that you cannot let Houdini set keyframes in the channel editor with Alt-mouseclick because metacity grabs this combo. That would render it kinda useless, unfortunately.

I'm not sure if anyone found a workaround for this, but if they have - please post!

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
483 posts
JColdrick
Hi Joe - thanks for addressing this - I assume this was the crash whenever the standard Save/Discard/Cancel requestor came up?
Yes, that's the one!

It's worth pointing out, however, that metacity(the default Gnome window manager in RH8/9) won't let you control much in the way of key equivs. The upshot is that you cannot let Houdini set keyframes in the channel editor with Alt-mouseclick because metacity grabs this combo. That would render it kinda useless, unfortunately.
Look in the “Windows” preferences. There you have the option of using Alt and “WIndows key” (at least) for grabbing the window and moving it.
4140 posts
Umm, but this still doesn't allow you to Alt-LMB to make keyframes does it? This may have changed, but when RH8 came out I talked to the guy that wrote it and there was no access to this.

(this is all academic since I've sworn off RH8+ anyway )

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
288 posts
I find houdini works well under Fedora core1 with KDE.
^_^
4140 posts
Yes I definitely want to test this at some point…good to hear you've had some success Cosmo, thanks. KDE is sort of my defacto standard ever since Gnome2 unfortunately, even though I was a hardcore Gnomer :evil: , and it was all because of metacity.

KDE has been pretty damn good since v3, so I'm not wanting.

If Fedora swings, we might consider it. Certainly not considering paying $$s for RHEE since all that money tends to go towards server sorta stuff that we don't need and their install is still terrible. If I were to spend money - it would be on SUSE. Latest version is pretty sweet - best startup and configuration I've ever seen on Linux.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
483 posts
JColdrick
Umm, but this still doesn't allow you to Alt-LMB to make keyframes does it?
Yes, it definitely DOES allow you to do this!

I can't speak for Red Hat 8 specifically since I'm using Ximian Desktop 2, but when I set (using the “Windows” configuration dialogue) what key will move the window to the Super or Windows key, I can set keyframes using Alt+LMB.

This might require, though, that you turn off “Use Windows Keys” in the Key Bindings settings dialogue.
4140 posts
Yah, you see that's the problem - when users install the vanilla RH8/9 - it uses metacity and is useless… Anyway that's great you solved the crash buggie - that was a bad one, but user's still need to be told to manually install something other than the desktop default…

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
16 posts
so i would have to still install kde on fedora c1 in order to get 6.1.208 to work?

ahhh thats no big problem i guess.

how “exactly” do i set the environment variable LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1

i couldnt find the instructions to do this just that it needs to be done.
  • Quick Links