Exporting Houdini Particles to Maya

34994   24   4
696 posts
It's been a number of years since I've used a PLE of maya… so I don't know about export.
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
543 posts
Allegro
It's been a number of years since I've used a PLE of maya… so I don't know about export.

I downloaded the Maya PLE, and was able to write out PDC cache. The dump_PDC utility is reading everything fine, including attributes. Don't have time until later this week but I'm sure it's all working, should be able to get an example to you.

As far as the filename convention used for the PDC files … hmmm. Not sure I'm following that one.
========================================================
You are no age between space
543 posts
Allegro
Houdini seems to import the variables fine. But there's something missing in the export.

I imported .pdc files from Maya, edited the radiusPP, exported back to Maya, and it seems that none of the attributes except position are taking in Maya.

(cross post from od, will continue there instead of posting twice …)

http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?/topic/9881-pdc-sop-importexport-for-houdini-10/page__gopid__64898&#entry64898 [forums.odforce.net]
========================================================
You are no age between space
58 posts
Ratmann
Allegro
I've got access to Maya, so I'll be sure to test :-)

Thanks Rick and Mark

edit: Except I'm on the 10.0.295 still :*(

Well you're in luck, cuz I just downloaded the silly thing and compiled it for you :-P

Let me know if this works for you, I won't have access to my machine all day since I'll be at work , so if something doesn't work I won't be able to update until tonight.

thanks for sharing. this dso seems export Houdini particles into a .bin file.

Does maya read a .bin file? or is there anyway to convert .bin to .pdc ?
230 posts
i have to export my particles for houdini with pdc to maya but in maya you can set only one attribute for rotation and you can select radians or degrees.

You can use normals and works fine but what I have in houdini is both normal and up vectors to get the proper orientation when I am doing instancing inside Houdini, how can combine these two vectors to a single one in order to be used from pdc plugin inside maya?
  • Quick Links