Texture formats.

3444   3   2
160 posts
Hi friends.
I have some questions.

1. What texture image format is best for PBR rendering (TIF, JPEG,RAT)? Can some formats (for example JPG) - slowdown PBR render ?

in another words: What textures format (resolution, size) is faster ? For example when i have 10 textures in scene - this is not a question. I can use any format. But if i have 40-50 and all textures Hi-Resolution ? What optimization steps can i do?

Thanks for answers
160 posts
Shame.

http://localhost:48626/io/formats/image_formats [localhost]

Using .rat files is faster for texture mapping, and typically consumes less memory than other formats because portions of the map are flushed out if more data is required for rendering. Only the portions of the map required for rendering are loaded. By default, mantra allocates a maximum of 8 MB of RAM for rat files. you can specify the maximum amount of ram (in MB) used for texturing with the environment variable SESI_RAT_USAGE. For example setenv SESI_RAT_USAGE 32.

We recommend using .rat files for texture maps before any other format because the quality tends to be much better than using stochastic sampling.

thanks to docs.)))

but for apprentice - is a .picnc, .ratnc

Non-commercial versions of pic and rat formats saved by Houdini Apprentice. Cannot be used by regular Houdini.
94 posts
live_fx
but for apprentice - is a .picnc, .ratnc

Non-commercial versions of pic and rat formats saved by Houdini Apprentice. Cannot be used by regular Houdini.

I had the impression, that when a full licence Houdini uses any .???nc files, it switches to watermarking mode ?? Am I wrong ?
If you can't script/program it, it's no good at all !
Staff
5161 posts
That is correct. Using any asset from a non-commercial license (hipnc, picnc, otl) will cause your commercial license to become non-commercial. This is to prevent the use of many cheap (or free) non-commercial Houdini sessions to generate assets for a full Houdini session. You're either non-commercial, or you're not – can't mix n'match
  • Quick Links