Big trouble with color maps

5503   8   2
10 posts
Hi,

I'm a beginner with Houdini and I'm in big troubles with color maps.
I have two identical files with an old cannon. The only difference is in the color map. The “fabricpattern” map works fine, meanwhile the “metalbare” map doesn't work at all. As you can see, with the metal map I obtain a red cannon and the metal color map doesn't appear.

Here's my procedure:

1) I import the cannon obj file
2) I set up mantra render with automatic camera and light
3) I choice UV texture and I select the cannon. Enter.

texture type:polar
apply to: natural location (but I have tried with vertex too and the result is always the same)

4) material palette: I chose mantra surface and I use color map.
5) I chose a color map. Sometimes I have success and sometimes I obtain a red or yellow color and nothing else.

That's all.

I have done many tests with a lot of different color maps: sometimes I obtain the correct render and sometimes I obtain a yellow or red colored item, without any visible texture. The ratio of success/failure is almost 50/50.

I don't understand what's my mistake. Can you help me, please?

I'm a Mac user and I have attached my system information.
I'm working with Houdini Apprentice HD version 11 Build 469

Attachments:
System information.png (75.2 KB)
metal render.jpg (92.6 KB)
fabric render.jpg (88.2 KB)
cannon with metal map.hipnc (719.7 KB)
cannon with fabric map.hipnc (719.7 KB)

10 posts
Here are two reduced images of the color maps, so you can see them in a better way. My final renders are not the best.
The original jpeg files are very big and almost of the same dimensions.
The fabric pattern works without any problem. The metalbare texture gives me a red cannon.

Attachments:
MetalBare0049_M.jpg (93.3 KB)
FabricPatterns0025_1_L.jpg (136.3 KB)

861 posts
There's no cannon geometry in your file, so I can't test it but how about you download the file below and see if that produces the result you expect? (point to correct map location on your drive)

Attachments:
testmap.hipnc (719.2 KB)

--
Jobless
10 posts
Hi Soothsayer! Here's my render. As you can see, I have the same problem with the sphere.

And I find really strange the absence of the cannon geometry. Are you sure?
I have downloaded my same file again, from this forum, I have launched it with Houdini and there's the cannon geometry… and I can move it, enlarge it and so on…. it's really anomalous. :shock:

Attachments:
testmap.jpg (44.5 KB)

861 posts
Strange… I have no idea why your sphere looks red. Have you tried downloading the latest Houdini version? Can you convert the map to a rat file and try it again and see if the problem persists.

As for the cannon: the file node points to the cannon on your computer. Not mine. :wink:

Try locking the file (red stripe) and upload it like that.
--
Jobless
10 posts
I have the latest release: Apprentice HD version 11 build 469.

Can you tell me how can I convert the jpg map into a rat file? I have found scarce informations about a sort of image converter called icp…. but I have no icp app in my houdini folder.

I have the same problem with locking my cannon file. Can you tell me how can I lock a file? I have searched for “lock file” or “red stripe” in the help menu and I have found nothing.
861 posts
Red stripe, see image below. Sorry for the terminology.

To convert to rat, use mplayer and just save your file with .rat extension.

Attachments:
Clipboard01.jpg (2.4 KB)

--
Jobless
10 posts
Thank you! I have converted the color map in a rat file and I have obtained the right texture. I don't know the reason of all these problems with different formats.

I have locked the cannon, as you can see, and I have tried to attach the hipnc file but with no results … maybe the file is too heavy and I can't upload it. It's about 2,8 mb.

Attachments:
screenshot_02.png (133.2 KB)
screenshot_01.png (10.7 KB)

52 posts
I had this same problem a time ago….
my issue, was the number on the image file….houdini try to open a image sequence and not a frame only…..in my case i just unmark “show sequences as one entry” on dialog to open file… and the image looks right.
i think your case is the same. its a silly thing!
cya!
  • Quick Links