Windows

3647   5   1
319 posts
Hello,

I'm looking to buy a laptop. As I think it will most probably come with Wndows 7, I want to check, do the Windows download bundles for Apprentice work on Windows 7? Might be a stupid question but I wan't to make sure before spending $1000 plus!

Thanks,

Dean.

P.S. Also, it's been a long time since I paid attention to hardware specs. Can anyone recommend a laptop for between $1000-$1300ish that has a spec which is geared well for Houdini?
Staff
5158 posts
Yes, both the 32b and 64b versions of Houdini for Windows work with Windows 7. I'd recommend the 64b version of W7 & Houdini.

For a laptop, you're probably looking at:

- Intel i7 quad, or fast i5 dual core
- at least 4GB
- Nvidia graphics (320+ or 420+)
- 1600x900 or higher res screen

as a solid laptop for Houdini work, unless you're going to be running on battery most of the time (dial down the CPU speed or quad->dual).

Hope that helps!
319 posts
Yeah that's great.

Thanks!
319 posts
I'm looking online, and at newegg I can see many models which state intel i7 cpu's but I can't see quad or even dual core specified. Is there a model you can recommend?!

Thanks!
Staff
5158 posts
A quad core mobile CPU has the “QM” prefix on the end, like “Intel i7 740QM”. Also, stay away from the Quadro NVS series, if you can. They're designed for business use, not workstation use.

Something like this would probably work well:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220869 [newegg.com]

ps - my personal opinion, not SESI's
319 posts
Awesome, thanks!
  • Quick Links