Index files

8730   3   0
170 posts
In my $HOME/houdini5.5 directory I've created vex and shop directories with all the subdirectories and index files as it is shown in Shaders.fmk.pdf file.
Here is the layout of both directories as well as the first line of code in every index file to include all of Houdini's default operators and shaders.
$HOME/houdini5.5/vex/
Chop/
Cop/
Dialogs/Sop/
_______Pop/
_______Chop/
_______Cop/
Displacement/
Fog/
Light/
Mat/
Pop/
Shadow/
Sop/
Surface/
VEXchop include $HH/vex/VEXchop
VEXcop include $HH/vex/VEXcop
VEXpop include $HH/vex/VEXpop
VEXsop include $HH/vex/VEXsop

$HOME/houdini5.5/shop/
/displace
/fog
/light
/shadow
/surface
SHOPdisplace include $HH/shop/SHOPdisplace
SHOPfog include $HH/shop/SHOPfog
SHOPlight include $HH/shop/SHOPlight
SHOPshadow include $HH/shop/SHOPshadow
SHOPsurface include $HH/shop/SHOPsurface

Now!
When I start up Houdini, “Houdini console” pops up and number of warnings are being displayed.
Warning: can't find dialog script for operator include
etc for every index file respectively.
(Also! For some reason. Warnings for SHOP index files are being shown twice :shock: )
Could someone please tell me what I do wrong?!
Do I use a wrong sintax for index files or what?
The Things I Do For Love!
1631 posts
Hi Stremik,

The syntax is incorrect for Houdini 5.x, hence the errors.

The correct syntax should be:

#include “$HH/vex/VEXsop”

Yes, the # is needed.

Cheers!
steven
170 posts
Thank you very much Steven!!!
Couple more questions.
I couldn't find anywhere in documentation anything about any of these changes. I mean the syntax in index files and especially in SHOP index files that are located in $HH/shop.
For instance:

#ifndef __HFS_DISPLACE_
#define __HFS_DISPLACE_
/*
*/

#if !environment(HOUDINI_HIDE_RI)
#include “shop/SHOPdisplace.ri”
#endif

#if !environment(HOUDINI_HIDE_VM)
#include “shop/SHOPdisplace.vm”
#endif

What are all the if's are doing here?

Another thing i've noticed is that some of utilities in $HFS/bin has been recompiled with different names. For example, pwd has been changed to hpwd.
I was able to figure this one out by simply going through bin directory but I couldn't find the ls utility there so currently I have no way of viewing the contents of directories when I work in Houdini command line tools.
Is there any place where I could read about all of these changes?
Once again… Thank you very much for your time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Things I Do For Love!
7709 posts
Houdini no longer comes distributed with the GNU utilities which were a set of Unix tools that ran on Windows. Previously, running “CShell” from the Start Menu would bring up a window that ran csh which is a Unix shell. The “Command Line Tools” brings up a Windows command shell instead (except with the HFS/HB/etc environment variables set up). Thus to view a directory you must use “dir”. For help on using the windows command shell, you can type “help”.

Having said all that, csh is still included with Houdini (but not any of the other Unix tools). To do that, you run “csh” from the Command Line Tools. After that, if you want a useable shell that gives you a pseudo “ls” command, run “sourcerc” first. After that, ls will work. Note that on Windows, doing a “source houdini_setup” is no longer required. For users who still want a set of Unix utilities on Windows, I recommend http://www.cygwin.com [cygwin.com]

Hope this helps.
  • Quick Links