issue when trying to open previously saved file in houdini

13121   8   1
4 posts
Hi! Am doing the digital tutor class and whenever am trying to open a file previously saved nothing come up …the object don’t come back on the view port but the network is visible

Can anybody help me?
Staff
4438 posts
Someone else recently posted a problem where the update mode (a menu in the lower right corner of the Houdini window) was set to Manual instead of Auto Update. This could explain why your network loads but you see nothing in the viewport. That's my best guess anyway. If that's not it, if you can post the hip file that might help.

Thanks,
Mark
4 posts
i've changed the the option to manual and it still dont work

here is a copy of the file

Attachments:
mousetrap.hipnc (82.0 KB)

1906 posts
I tried taking a look but since all the networks rely on external geometry files nothing shows up since the files are not available.
Graham Thompson, Technical Artist @ Rockstar Games
4 posts
this is the file from the digital tutor… try to save this file and then try to open it!

Attachments:
mousetrap.hip (79.6 KB)

Staff
4438 posts
Again, lots of geometry files that are supposed to be there but aren't. I assume that missing geometry files isn't your problem here? The File SOPs inside the geometry objects aren't showing any errors? If you MMB click on one of the File SOPs does it show X points and Y primitives (where X and Y are both greater than zero)?

Also, to clarify, the update mode should NOT be set to Manual. It should be set to Auto Update.

Mark
4 posts
mtucker
Again, lots of geometry files that are supposed to be there but aren't. I assume that missing geometry files isn't your problem here? The File SOPs inside the geometry objects aren't showing any errors? If you MMB click on one of the File SOPs does it show X points and Y primitives (where X and Y are both greater than zero)?

Also, to clarify, the update mode should NOT be set to Manual. It should be set to Auto Update.

Mark

no its not a missing geometry file issue am not showing any error and the axis is not showing in the view port but…. its like the file is there but not accessible

someone told me that it was because the file was created with a registered Houdini license and am currently using the free apprentice version…. is it true?…and if his how can I fix this issue
Staff
4438 posts
No, it is not an apprentice/licensed version issue. Apprentice is absolutely capable of opening any file produced by a fully licensed Houdini.

I'm sorry, I am not able to reproduce your problem. Maybe you could try some things to help narrow down the problem. For example, are you experiencing this problem with _any_ other hip file, or is it just this one? In this hip file, what happens when you put down a new Torus object? Can you see that? What happens when you render? What happens when you change one of the File SOPs to a sphere SOP? What if you replace the geometry files on disk with some other geometry?

What do you mean “the axis is not showing in the view port”? Is the viewport _completely_ blank? Does this happen only with this one file? Can you post a screen shot? Can you post one of the geometry files (Not all of them because I don't think you should be sharing entire tutorial files created by digital tutors, but I'm sure one geometry file would be okay…). Is anyone else in the Digital Tutors class having the same problem as you?

I'd like to help, but I need more information…

Mark
3 posts
I am new at houdini and I am recently created DESTRUCTION FX and I create a a bomb and all that stuff but in the stage 8 when i insert a file node in the parameter and trying to attached the bomb/geo file but there is no file showing not even in my computer. I need someone who can help me out of this.

Looking forward to hear from you guys

Thanks

Usama
  • Quick Links