Houdini Apprentice and Athlon X2 dual core?

8606   4   2
45 posts
Does Houdini Apprentice HD use and take advantage of Athlon 64 X2 dual core processors? (Both cores?)

Thanks
47 posts
yes it would seem so
when running simulation playback I get both procs working but it kind of interesting that they seem to swap percentages from one proc to another each time it plays.
Mantra uses 100 of both processors if its needed, you will find a lot of the time mantra will not always peg the 100 percent mark unless you are kinda serious about your render.
45 posts
lynbo
yes it would seem so
when running simulation playback I get both procs working but it kind of interesting that they seem to swap percentages from one proc to another each time it plays.
Mantra uses 100 of both processors if its needed, you will find a lot of the time mantra will not always peg the 100 percent mark unless you are kinda serious about your render.

Might be a kind of load balancing thing going on so that both processors share the load.

BTW-what are you looking at to read the processor load? I couldn't see anything in the win xp task manager.

Cheers
47 posts
well I'm on linux, and I'm using the system monitor
which is the same as the task manager. I'm watching the Resources tab
on my system but on windows it is the Performance tab. they both graph processor usage.
45 posts
lynbo
well I'm on linux, and I'm using the system monitor
which is the same as the task manager. I'm watching the Resources tab
on my system but on windows it is the Performance tab. they both graph processor usage.

I use both Linux and XP, so I might well use Linux for Houdini as I hear it performs better? Plus I could use all 4GB of ram.

BTW-I'm using Debian testing 64 bit. What distro are you using?

Cheers
  • Quick Links