Animating fluid parameters has no effect?

3714   2   1
112 posts
I'm sure this is pilot error, but I'm trying to animate the temperature parameter of a smoke fluid, but it appears no to work at all. Starting from 0 and animating the temperature value to 10 over 1 second results in the fluid sinking. I'm using the source from object, so I would have expected it to start off sinking and then raise up as the temperature rises.

I suspect my workflow is flawed… :roll:

Any ideas how I should be manipulating the temperature values?
Staff
809 posts
In general in DOPs, you need to make sure the parameter you're setting is set to “Set Always” if it's changing over time. However, if your smoke source is an RBD Static Object, which is a digitial asset, the various physical parameters just feed into a contained PhysicalParameters DOP, and that node is set to “Set to Initial” as setting the parameters, and there's no way to change it at the top level.

So, either right-click on the StaticObject, choose “Allow editing of contents” and go in and change the Temperature param on the PhysicalParameters to “Set Always”.

Or (better, IMO), just append a new PhysicalParameters DOP after the static object and set all your values there, including an animated temperature set to “Set Always”.

Make sense? Attached is a quick example.

Attachments:
animated_temp.hipnc (332.1 KB)

112 posts
Great - just what I was after!

Thanks for the example
  • Quick Links