Simple fluid collision?

4976   4   2
112 posts
Is there a simple way to add a collision object to a fluid smoke sim?

I tried the embed object, but its distorting the box in strange ways!
Staff
809 posts
Yeah, the “Embed Object in Fluid” is not what you want. That tool causes the object's points to be advected along with the fluid sim, which is why it's being deformed.

You should just be able to select the object and use the “Static Object” tool under the Rigid Bodies shelf, and it will be wired into an existing fluid sim AutoDopNetwork as a collision object for the fluid.
112 posts
You should just be able to select the object and use the “Static Object” tool under the Rigid Bodies shelf, and it will be wired into an existing fluid sim AutoDopNetwork as a collision object for the fluid.

Thanks…

…mmm..tried that and nothing :? I'll try again to see if I did something wrong…
696 posts
First off, in case you haven't seen it: http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1301&Itemid=132 [sidefx.com]

Secondly, there used to be a bug, where order of operations made a difference. If you created your static objects with the shelf *after* you had created your fluid, it wouldn't get merged in correctly with the shelf, and thus wouldn't work.

There are two ways around this. 1, use the latest build of Houdini. 2, if you must use the version that you are currently using, you can manually switch how they're merged so that your static objects are on the left, and your fluids are on the right.
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
112 posts
Ah thanks!

I installed the latest version and it seems to working correctly now
  • Quick Links