Using particles for objects with a density

4109   1   1
1 posts
Hi I am max user who feels they have come to a point where perhaps I should branch out in the appz I use. For a planned project I would like to be able to suggest an organic form that is made of many different densities. Particles would seem to be the best way to do this but Max is horrible working with particles and I am looking for the package that would give me the fastest/best results. Below is a link to a page where thay seem to have achieved somethng similar to what I would like to achieve although they are using maya with a custom glassworks plugin.
http://www.lynnfox.co.uk/NIAPageFLASH.htm [lynnfox.co.uk]
Would a similar effect be possible witthin Houdini? I should add that I am not a programmer so my abilities are limited in how I can use Houdini.
If not Houdini then could anyone suggest another package that could help me. I dont need such amazing images as these but somehting on the way.

If anyone can help I would be most gratefull.

Sam

London
Staff
2540 posts
No off-the-shelf tools for houdini to do this but it is definitely possible as several customers have done similar visuals in the recent past.

To pull this off you will have to develop some shaders for the renderer involved. Mantra is more than up to something like this. Wether you use volume rendering techinques driven by surfaces and particles or using rendered surfaces (probably a combination of both), you will have to delve in to shader writing but Houdini does have these tools to work with.

You can develop shaders using VOPs (Vex OPerators) which is a visual node-based shader builder but you will have to know how to put together shaders and how it meshes with geometry without programming. If you are familiar with RenderTree in XSI then the VOP builder will be pretty simple to pick up.

A quick study of the website you pointed to looks like it is more surface shaders with some volumetrics to fill some spaces. The shaders are very well tweaked to give a lot of false-lighting effects. Wether they use real lights or not is not the issue. No doubt that there is a very good shader person who probably knows a lot about shaders and what happens in the renderer who worked on these images.

Check out http://www.realisestudio.com/SRS.04.jpeg [realisestudio.com] to see what houdini and mantra/renderman are capable of. There are numerous other examples.
There's at least one school like the old school!
  • Quick Links