Use prim attributes in resample sop parameter expression?

7618   4   0
5 posts
Hello,

I'm having trouble using & referencing primitive attributes in an expression for a resample sop node and I was wondering if anyone could give me some help or pointers please.

I have a piece of geometry with 52 individual prims and each prim has its own attribute (say the prim's area from a measure sop). I want the “Segments” parameter of the resample sop to use each prim's “area” attribute for its value- i.e. each prim will have its own individual segment value that's calculated from its area attribute.

I've tried using hscript & python but I just can't seem to reference prim attributes… I've tried lvar(), curPoint().attribValue(), even basics such as $PR etc. but nothing seems to work & I'm out of ideas- lil help please!

Thanks in advance.

PS: Kinda unrelated but is there any way of seeing, using or customising the source code for a houdini node so that I could try making a new operator type to do the above?
5 posts
Is there no-one that can shed some light on this? I've been stuck on this for two days now… PLZ HALP! :cry:
2624 posts
The best way to get a response is to post up a simple scene ! with what you want to do

Rob
Gone fishing
1904 posts
This cannot be accomplished using expressions like you wish because the Resample sop does not support local variables, such as $PR. If you look at the help card for it you will see that it lists no supported Local Variables, which appear in something like a Point sop.

This is why it or lvar() won't work. curPoint/curPrim doesn't work because the sop is not cooking on a per point/primitive basis.

What you are attempting to do is best accomplished using the ForEach sop.

Take a look at the attached file.

Attachments:
random_resample.hip (48.9 KB)

Graham Thompson, Technical Artist @ Rockstar Games
5 posts
Graham- you are a God like genius, thanks very much! Does exactly what I was looking for
  • Quick Links