Fern_lapse

6358   3   2
19 posts
This piece is intended to be integrated into a time lapse plate. For now the animations are driven with wiredeformers and animated using chops.

A quick flipbook of the animations and the timelapse plate can be found on my website under the houdini Tab.

studentpages.scad.edu/~Jokent20

All critiques welcome on both my reel and the current project.

Thanks

Attachments:
Curl.mov (4.3 MB)

19 posts
Finally got the UV's for this thing in order. Took it into mudbox to get a displacement going.

Attachments:
FernMud.jpg (570.4 KB)

295 posts
Very cool! Can you go into more detail about how you set this up? Both the animation and the model?
Houdini Models [learning3dfromscratch.blogspot.com]
19 posts
The nut shell workflow-

Model base mesh -> create rest curves inside -> use bone chains to deform the rest curves -> Use wireDeform to blend between the two curves.

This project really got out of control with respect to how complicated the network became for such a simple looking effect.

The base mesh for the tendrils was created in maya.

A master Rest spline was created for the longest tendril. A bone chain was built along this curve and Chops & Expressions monitor the rotations of each joint. Once a certain rotation value is reached the next bone is triggered giving the curling effect. This newly curled spline was set as the deform curve for a WireDeform SOP. Blending between the two curves gave us control of the blooming effect.

Each tendril then was given its own curve. These curves reference the master curves animation but maintain their respective scales and orientations(That took a while).

Once I figured out how to reorder the primitive numbers of the secondary curves I skinned the surface for the leaf.

Side note… The wireCapture SOP has a very unusual means of changing capture radius values. Setting key frames for the radius adjusts the radius ALONG the U value of a Curve. To my knowledge you can not directly paint or gradate this value in any other way.

–TO THE DEVELOPERS –

Don't get me wrong I like it and its convenient once you figure it out.. but it took a long time to figure out. Could you explain the reasoning behind using key frames to adjust this value?

Is there a way to access the U value of a curve directly?

Thanks,
John

Attachments:
Curves.jpg (92.5 KB)
Fern.jpg (170.9 KB)

• Quick Links