What's the real price for the HDK?

5699   5   1
543 posts
Hi,

I may have already asked this but don't remember, I did a search of the forum and came up empty.

What's the real cost of the HDK developer's program? There's 2 different prices listed on the SESI web site, which one is correct?

$2,295 USD
Developer's page:
http://www.sidefx.com/products/developers/index.html [sidefx.com]

$4,000 USD
Sales/Pricing page:
http://www.sidefx.com/sales/pricing/index.html [sidefx.com]

Of course as I've mentioned countless times before, the HDK should be bundled with every Houdini product, with no support, that should cost extra. But for the developer's program, $2,295 USD isn't too shabby, I just wish there was a bigger market out there for 3rd party plugins.

Anyone at SESI have the correct info on this? I'll have some new features for the Real Flow plugins shortly after the New Year.

Thanks!

Happy Holidays! :-)

–Mark
========================================================
You are no age between space
301 posts
On a related note, from reading the VEX documentation, it seems that for the other platform, one can compile DSO shadeop with the standard compiler that comes with the operating system BUT for the Windows platform, the HDK is required.

It seems unfair that one has to fork out an additional US$4000 just to be able to compile DSO shadeop on the Windows platform when it is not required for the others.

Cheers (not)
Nicholas Yue
543 posts
Hi Nicholas,

nicholas_yue
It seems unfair that one has to fork out an additional US$4000 just to be able to compile DSO shadeop on the Windows platform when it is not required for the others.

I agree, it's confusing and unfair and frustrating as I know there are lots of Houdini users that would love to extend Houdini via the HDK (and VEX DSOs). I do hope that SESI will change this soon, it just doesn't make any sense.

Please contact SESI and let them know how you feel. The more voices they hear on this issue, the better are our chances to help *them* make Houdini an even better application and our efforts to create the extra functionality we sometimes need.

Stay positive!

Take care,
Mark
543 posts
Hi,

Anyone from SESI have info regarding the correct price for the HDK developer's program?

–Mark
301 posts
xionmark
Anyone from SESI have info regarding the correct price for the HDK developer's program?

I believe the staff at SESI does not actively monitor or read the post in this forum.

One has to write to them to alert them of posting awaiting their attention.

In the past, they have been very quick to reply once they are alerted.

Cheers

Nicholas Yue
Nicholas Yue
7714 posts
From http://www.sidefx.com/products/developers/index.html [sidefx.com]
(i.e. may not be used for commercial production)
  • Quick Links