mandrake linux

7444   8   2
21 posts
Dear guys,
after I installed and run the non-comercial version of houdini6.1 on my Windows2k machine I just tried to install it on my linux partion also. I downloaded version “linux8”. The machine is an AMD64 with 1G ram and an ATI FireGL X2 graphic card. The linux distribution is an Mandrake amd64 9.2.
I definitly know that this is not really a supported linux-distro but the installation process was running fine. But know, after setting the ‘houdini_setup_bash’, both hkey and the houdini programm itself returning an error message ‘shared library libGLUT.so.1 not found’. This library exists on the system it's in /usr/X11R6/lib64. I created a symlink into /usr/X11R6/lib… still the same error message.
Like I mentioned before, I know it's not exactly an recommended system to run houdini but maybe someone got an idea… ?

cheers
lightismagic
4 posts
I myself had houdini apprentice running on mandrake 9 awhile back. I never used the bash setup script though. What happens if you use the tcsh shell to source the normal houdini_setup file and try to run houdini? On a sidenote if you're up for the install, houdini apprentice has been made to run on gentoo linux as well.
7714 posts
What happens if you run “cd $HB; ldd houdini” ? On a RH8 system, I didn't find a dependency to libGLUT at all. I assume that OpenGL works on your system already?
21 posts
thanks guys for your replies
fact is, in the meantime I chanced to Fedora Linux Core 1 (the i386 version), mainly because I can use the original ATI Linux drivers. With all the workarounds about Redhat 9 posted in this forums I got houdini running quite fast.
I think I will try a second shot on a AMD64 version (at the moment I think I will try also the Fedora distro), when there will be amd64 drivers from ATI and the whole arch is supported a little bit better. In fact I think my problem on mandrake was not directly with houdini, because a lot of 32-bit applications didn't run - despite the fact all amd64 distros are promoting this. I think the problem are the double libraries (lib and lib64), so standart 32-bit apps will not find their libraries…

regards
lightismagic
47 posts
i've used houdini exclusively on mandrake and gentoo, with no problems at all (under KDE). Under gnome i had some issues with the “are you sure you want to quit” prompt which was hidden, thus you couldnt click it, and exit the program.

as you said your problems probably arent with houdini. mandrake 9.2 initiall release was quite buggy, as is fedora from what ive heard?
21 posts
Well, the fedora install is pretty much like Redhat 9 , but I had problems (and some are still unsolved) with some parts of my motherboard (ASUS K8V-Deluxe), specially the ethernet stuff (installed driver module manually) and a still not working sound. In the moment I'm trying to convince the graphic bus to use AGP not PCI (unsupported VIA-chipset).
Quite a surprise that houdini is working ….

regards
lightismagic
4 posts
What are houdini's package requirements?

I'm beating my head about this one and can't find anything that seems to resolve it.

./libHoudiniUT.so: /usr/lib/libdb.so.2: no version information available (required by ./libHoudiniUT.so)

seems to be requiring GLIBC_2.0 … but even that doesn't seem to resolve this problem.

J/
104 posts
I've just installed Mandrake 10. on my laptop - along with newest nvidia drivers etc.

I'm running into the same problem… here is the error msg:

hkey
hkey: relocation error: /usr/hfs6.1/dsolib/libHoudiniUT.so: symbol errno, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference

Does anyone know what this means?

Any help is greatly appreciated

–Carlos
104 posts
Got it

it's the assume kernel trick

setenv LD_ASSUME_KERNEL 2.4.1

Cheers

–Carlos
  • Quick Links