Cloth simulation without simulation

4349   2   1
4 posts
Hi Everyone,

I am doing some procedural modeling in Houdini and I have come to the point, where I would like to model one object to be wrapped in some kind of material, paper, etc.

Of course it can be modelled by hand, but if we have all these marvelous procedural modeling tools, there must be something to help with that.

I have tried using some curves with ray sop, triangulate 2D sop, fit sop, etc. but the results were still quite far from satisfactory.
Then, it popped into my mind that Houdini has some cloth simulation tools, maybe they can help. Without the simulation part, but as a modeling tool. Is it possible. I have tried looking for any materials helping learning cloth simulation in Houdini, but it appears there is not too much of them, or maybe I am missing something.

Does anyone have any hints what I can use and where can I learn helpful tools for that task?
43 posts
Hi jrx,

The help files in the CLOTHSOLVER has some examples to look at (RMB on node —> HELP)

This webpage has some nice tutorials for modelling cloth objects using cloth simulations (curtains, cushions…):

http://surrealstructures.com/blog/category/cloth-simulation-2/ [surrealstructures.com]

Is for MAX tho… but it could some give ideas. Implementing them in Houdini shouldn't be that hard… I think (@_@)?
43 posts
Simple Tablecloth DOPS

Attachments:
tablecloth.hipnc (100.4 KB)

• Quick Links