Circle UV

6299   9   2
70 posts
as i understand it in houdini circles have just U, and have no V.

so how can i extract a part of a circle like the red area in the picture below?

Attachments:
circle.JPG (16.3 KB)

160 posts
carve SOP
70 posts
that's exactly what i am talking about. because there is no V i can't extract a surface from a circle, just a curve can be extracted.
731 posts
Two carves into a merge and a skin?
Sean Lewkiw
CG Supervisor
Machine FX - Cinesite MTL
160 posts
two circle SOP with different radius -> in merge SOP, then skin SOP, then carve SOP and you can play…

as i understand it in houdini circles have just U, and have no V.

UV - is the Surface parameter. When you need work with UV, then you need a surface. Use skin SOP or project SOP
70 posts
thanks. skin does the trick. but it is kinda time consuming. i was wondering why circle doesn't have a V? grid has both U and V when it is a mesh . and it seems very natural to have a V for a circle too.
330 posts

maybe because the circle is simply defined by a single a line , .. a special one .
except the things that cannot be seen , nothing is like it seems .
160 posts
We all need back to school.
with shame
330 posts
anyway ,

ramin22 , im not sure if the circle you are referring to ( in the opening post ) comes out of any previous operation or it is a ‘fresh’ one .. ,

but if the case is that you are creating it , id suggest to start with a Tube SOP . from there , you can have the additional V coordinates and a Carve SOP to control the extracting just as you illustrated above .

.. see the attached hip example .

oc , you can pack those in an otl and call any time later with a single click . a circle with Us and Vs .

.cheers

Attachments:
UVed_Circle_z.hipnc (44.3 KB)
UVedCircle_Clipboard-1.png (6.0 KB)

except the things that cannot be seen , nothing is like it seems .
70 posts
thanks. i like this trick more than the skin. i have used your idea and altered it a little bit to make it shorter. download the hip file to see it. but i am not satisfied yet. for one thing we have 10 points in the origin which bothers me somehow.

1. how can i merge them into one point?
2. we have several methods for creating the circle, i understand that some of them are an open circle but why haven't they added a UV circle too? i am not trying to say that houdini is bad, i am just trying to understand what limited them in doing this, and understand the circle node better.

Attachments:
tube.hipnc (37.8 KB)

• Quick Links