Houdini Win & GeForce3 better with 40.72 drivers.

4595   0   0
436 posts
Hi all

I installed nVidia's new Detonator 40.72 drivers under my Win2K. Houdini seems to be working better then with V3 series drivers.
The strange blacking out top menus in apps other then Houdini is gone. OpenGL seems more spunky.
It has new rez. features. I swtiched my to new 1600X1024. Very nice.
The quirck where OpenGL went belly-up when too many polys were on screen, has, for now gone away.
So far good news. I am shopping for a new machine, and one of the ways to save money is to get a mid-range or consumer grade video. Nowadays, what is consumer grade, would put pro-level OGL boards of two years ago to shame. I have settled on getting generic nVidia 4200 Ti 128 board. Since, it seems that GeForce 3 with 40.72 drivers is working fine, I don't expect to have to spring for Quaddro4 or FireGL series.
Its amazing how for well under $2000, a fast OpenGL box can be purchased. I even priced out a new P4 3.06HT machine with 1gb DDR400Corsair SDRAM, Ti4200 128, 160gb, + details, for $1980.
That is fast!

Minor question.
I am not sure why so many VEX Shops don't recognize a file sequence, when COPs work fine with that same sequence. SHops only see them as folder of single files. So I am not sure how to define files seqs as texture maps.

DaveRindner
  • Quick Links