Cooking Controls + Capture Painting == not so good

4901   2   1
344 posts
I don't know if this is a bug or what, but it's a problem for me.

Adjusting capture regions isn't very responsive, and painting capture weights is sometimes even slower. Painting capture weights is only really usuable for me with a single viewport open. If I set the cooking controls to update on changes, the weights and corresponding vertex colors are still updated constantly. I was expecting I could just brush the surface at a normal speed, and the weights and colors would update on MB up. If I set cooking controls to never, I can't paint weights at all. The pointer just freezes in the viewport while the the mouse button is down, and nothing changes if I hit update. So what's the deal? Bug, feature, or am I expecting the cooking controls to do something they shouldn't?

Houdini Apprentice 5.5.151, btw.
344 posts
I figure I'd put the solution here incase someone has a similar problem and digs this up in the future. Dive down into the SOPs for the skin that is being painted, make sure only the left Capture Paint inputs are connected, and use a visibility SOP to isolate parts of the geometry right before the Capture Paint SOP. It works great. Thanks edward!
Staff
6187 posts
MichaelC
I was expecting I could just brush the surface at a normal speed, and the weights and colors would update on MB up. If I set cooking controls to never, I can't paint weights at all. The pointer just freezes in the viewport while the the mouse button is down, and nothing changes if I hit update.

Unlike most SOPs which are defined entirely by their parameters, the paint sops (CapturePaint, Paint, Sculpt, Comb) use the parameters to update an internal represenation of the change in the geometry. This means that if the SOP wasn't recooked as you moved the mouse, you would just get the effect of the last mouse position.

- Jeff
  • Quick Links