Fluids vs 9.5, 10.0, 12.0

3889   5   0
23 posts
(Pardon the giant picture below…)

I'm an intermittent houdini user, but when I need it, it's just the thing. Love the HD personal license.

Ok, so I'm trying to do a simple fluid dynamics. Merging a Static Object and a Fluid Object to get a continuous flow works in 9.5 great!

In 10.0, opening SAME file (attached) has no fluid volume after the first frame. Also, the Fluid Solver object is full of strange errors (middle click, shown below).

In 12.0 (i missed 11) I get total graphics failure, artifacts visible in picture below.

Help, help.

Mac Pro 10.6.8, Mac1,1 ATY,RadeonX1900

Any guidance for the Fluids in 10.0, very appreciated!

Attachments:
fluids_oddity.hipnc (126.9 KB)

512 posts
well I don't see a reason why you should be using an obsolete version of Houdini, it's most likely your display driver, it's been set by default to GL3 in Houdini12 which is not supported by a lot of graphic cards.
Thus try change your 3d viewport (edit>preferences>3D viewport) and see if that fixes the issue, updating your graphic cards drivers wouldn't hurt as well.

cheers,

Manu
http://vimeo.com/user2522760 [vimeo.com]
http://stormbornvfx.com/ [stormbornvfx.com]
Manuel Tausch
23 posts
Hi Manu – Thanks for replying!

Any thoughts on why the fluid source (staticObject merge-as-source fluidObject) would only have volume on 1st frame?

I see you're pretty fluent on Dynamics…

(As for H12… alas I'm on a Mac with 5 year old ATI graphics card, I have all updates but maybe even that is not enough. Forward!)

Cheers –> David
7733 posts
Vertically-mirrored node labels … wow, haven't seen that one before. With regards to the errors in H10, perhaps try recreating brand new nodes from scratch.
23 posts
Edward – thanks for the note.

I did indeed recreate from scratch, in both 9.5 and 10. Finally found the magic, from the FillGlass example in help.

I confess, I dont fully grok DOP networks. Like, why can Gravity go anywhere? It seems like some nodes just “pepper” the data stream, and the network itself (after output) does the heavy lifting? Something…

Anyway, moving the static object Merge-Source-Relationship to *after* fluidsolver caused the static object to act like the fluid spigot. (In 9.5, static object worked fine to go before fluidsolver.) For now, that's enough to go forward.

Oh, and RBD object (without rbd solver) works fine in either place.

But any pointers on how to think & reason about a DOP network, most appreciated! The upstream/downstream data flow is not obvious to me…
7733 posts
polyomino
But any pointers on how to think & reason about a DOP network, most appreciated! The upstream/downstream data flow is not obvious to me…

There's this page as a jumping point …

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini12.0/dyno/ [sidefx.com]

See the links to the various “Top Ten”. I think those chapters are still being worked on but has some good info nonetheless.
  • Quick Links