helicopter landing FX

10086   5   0
1 posts
Hey everyone, new to the forums here.
Can anyone help me get started on the best approach to do dust kicked up by a landing helicopter?
Aim is realistic, integrating a 3D helicopter landing on a dusty concrete surface.
Any help to point me in the right direction welcome.

Thanks in advance
Cordy
4 posts
hey … i really like to know this … help please …
250 posts
http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/898/Introduction-to-Maya-Fluid-Effects#.UhxgZxu-18E [thegnomonworkshop.com]

In this tutorial there is a part where he emits particles from a NURBS circle, and these particles also emit smoke. So maybe you can do the same, the circle can follow the helicopter, emit particles and particles will emit the dust. And then add forces, etc. It's just an idea.
https://vimeo.com/obreadytom [vimeo.com]
224 posts
Best would be to build your velocity volume derived from the rotating chopper blades. Plug it in to your Simulation and tweak settings accordingly (velocity contribution etc.)

There are many ways to achieve this, but I tend to think of 'm in terms of forces and matter. What is it you want to be kicked up, how do you want it to be displaced, should it settle? Next tackle all individual bits one by one and come up with small tests to help you understand what is necessary. Building the entire setup at once will most likely result in a less usable simulation.
Senior Technical Artist Guerrilla Games
224 posts
Best would be to build your velocity volume derived from the rotating chopper blades. Plug it in to your Simulation and tweak settings accordingly (velocity contribution etc.)

There are many ways to achieve this, but I tend to think of 'm in terms of forces and matter. What is it you want to be kicked up, how do you want it to be displaced, should it settle? Next tackle all individual bits one by one and come up with small tests to help you understand what is necessary. Building the entire setup at once will most likely result in a less usable simulation.
Senior Technical Artist Guerrilla Games
122 posts
here a five min test with pyro, billowy smoke.
adjust the velocity, noise, dissipation,etc, for diferents and better solution.

hasta la vista.

Attachments:
billow smoky.hipnc (880.0 KB)
windtest.picnc (1.8 MB)

• Quick Links