Rendering a sequence of images hard restarts machine. Help!

3903   7   0
23 posts
Hello,

I just started trying to render out a sequence of tif files to disk on my new linux (Ubuntu) workstation recently. I have noticed that about half way through (between frames 60 to 70 out of 240) my computer does a hard reboot with no error messages whatsoever. This happens on any and all hip files/test scenes that include pyro. I am in the process of testing FLIP and Rigid bodies to see if those restart my machine as well. Every other application I use, realflow, maya, mudbox, nuke, mari, seems to work just fine.

I haven't seen any indication of hardware failure. Is there something specific I should look at that may cause an issue like this? I have dual 8 core 2650s, 64GB of Ram, Quadro 4000/tesla c2075 setup. Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated. This happens on every version of houdini 12 I have tried. Works fine on my mac pro. Cpu and Gpu temps are reasonable, nothing in the 90c and above range. I have a dual boot setup, so I will install apprentice on Windows and see if I get similar results.

Thanks,

Kev
23 posts
I installed apprentice on Windows7 and tried rendering. Same thing happens, computer does a hard reboot. It has to be hardware related then I suppose, but I'm not sure what would cause this to happen.
7721 posts
Are you directly rendering to files on disk?
23 posts
Correct. I've tried several different hard drives as well. It's acting as if the cpu temps are too high and does a hard reboot. I have real temp up right now. I'll do another render and log the temperatures this time.
23 posts
Cpu temps are staying in the low to mid 40s. Two of the 16 cores have maxed at 54 degrees (Air cooling). Both Graphics cards are sitting at 82 degrees, which is somewhat normal as these cards have a tendency of running hot. Currently 35 of 240 frames of a high res pyro sim. Still running so far on Windows 7. Will report back with outcome.
7721 posts
If you're on Windows 7, make sure you turn OFF the automatic reboot upon BSOD, or else there's no way for you figure out what's causing the reboot.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/automatic-restart-windows-7.htm [pcsupport.about.com]
330 posts
on win7 , have you checked the Event Log Viewer ?

usually there is some ‘ readable ’ messages on what happened ,

but mostly an Error Code you can track and find what caused the crash .

before changing my workstation , i had a similar behavior from my pc ; problem was bad air-flow and the first to ‘ give up ’ was the graphic card .

!good luck
except the things that cannot be seen , nothing is like it seems .
23 posts
Thanks edward and zarti. It looks like the cause of this issue was created by a faulty 24 pin extension cable. I had another one on hand, replaced it and all seems to be working fine so far -fingers crossed-
  • Quick Links