Quickstart Columns Tutorial question

3772   3   1
5 posts
Obviously a beginner, since I'm doing the quickstart tutorial. I'm a Maya artist, trying to learn Houdini.

Anyway, in step 12 (in the .pdf) you are supposed to use ‘polysplit’to add a span between the peak of the groove and a bevel created in the previous step. However, when I create a polysplit node, the node is created out of the chain, and I cannot even manually link it in. (It appears on it's own in the node structure, with red lines through the node). I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but am not even close to being familiar enough with Houdini to troubleshoot.

I have tried it with several different nodes selected, but logically, I think it should go between “Polybevel 2” and “Duplicate 1”.

I have looked back through the steps, and do not believe I missed anything, does anyone have any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!
7709 posts
Haven't looked at the tutorial but the usual workflow is like this:
- Either use the PolySplit shelf tool, or press the TAB key > PolyBevel (with mouse in the viewport).
- Click on the edges in the viewport that you want to split. Press the ENTER key with your mouse in the viewport when done.
5 posts
Thanks for the reply edward!

I went back to an earlier increment of the file and did a few preceding steps again, and it worked properly. Not sure what the issue was, but I'm chalking it up to not knowing what I'm doing yet. . .

Thanks again!
5 posts
I don't mean to hijack this, but I was wondering if anyone has gotten an error trying to apply the polycap:

I followed the tutorial exactly, and I can't figure out what the problem is. Anyone have any ideas?
  • Quick Links