SOP Solver problems

5273   6   1
28 posts
Let me start by saying that I have never gotten too deep into the development of my own dynamics engine, so I am going to need some basic pointers. I originally intended on doing this in a POPs context, but was informed on Odforce that a SOP Solver was the proper tool for the job, which I am more than happy to learn, master and utilize.

The Situation: I am doing a full semester (maybe more) paid undergrad research assistanceship at KSU and my advisor is letting me continue some research I had done in Houdini in the spring as my current project. In that project, I used a POPs context to drive traffic on city streets with the desire to make a very basic simulation for background animation. I achieved this with passable results.

The Project: This semester, I am wanting to extend the concept into 3 dimensions with an air combat simulator. The basic concept is simple enough, a dual predator goal based simulation, eventually being extended into higher numbers of participants and eventually ally behaviors.

I am confident in my skills with everything once I get the basics rolling, but I am struggling with how to do all of this. I am trying to find some good resources as well as advice (if not a mentor) to help me through this project. I am more than happy to purchase a proclass tutorial if there are any out there that could get me started.
694 posts
Sounds like you need some sort of boid/flock simulation. Check the CMIVFX tutorials. If I'm not mistaken they have a “game” made in houdini as well (one of the hip tricks classes).

Cheers
Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
28 posts
I have some of their tutorials and I was looking at them after I wrote this post. They have a flocking tutorial that I am looking at buying when I get paid on Friday. I sent an email to them to ask for some more specific details on the tutorial to see if it will give me what I need.

I am concerned that it won't give a good description of how to control a goal based simulation, though the animation parts would be invaluable. I will likely buy it, but I was hoping for some more than just that one. I have always found it to be true that you can never have too many learning resources.
122 posts
hellou hellou
space ships speed, eg: 10 second = 1 kilometer…
28 posts
chevita.
hellou hellou
space ships speed, eg: 10 second = 1 kilometer…

Ok, I am trying to see what you are saying in this comment? My only assumption could be that you think my timescale is going to be too short to be realistic speeds… which I am not entirely concerned with at this moment. I will place the speed limits on later.
45 posts
You should definitely have a look at Reynolds' research:

http://www.red3d.com/cwr/boids/ [red3d.com]
122 posts
hellou A.
well, start from simple space ship only one direction and speed 1km/per sec. put a cam and inspect thing like. the feel of vel or speed with a cam , rot zoom. etc… am so sorry right now am not using a translator. so my … you know..

see this example.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vgfgEk-uRI [youtube.com]

the games have goods insight
have a vry good day
rusian have better inglesh
  • Quick Links