Something that's probably really simple...

2948   5   1
271 posts
Hi,

I've got some geometry that I'm duplicating using a duplicate node.
That duplicate node has a local variable, $CY, that is the copy number.
I want that number to use later, to scale the resulting geometry for example (that was just an example - I know you can set this in the duplicate properties).
So I want that variable to use later. How do I do this?
7708 posts
For this I think you need to use the more advanced Copy SOP node with stamping enabled.
271 posts
That did indeed do it. However, I've now run into another problem, I have my template points for the copy node that are created using stamping to alter their radius, and some simple box geometry to copy to those points. I want my box geometry to be able to read the radius of the circle. I used a relative channel reference, but it does not work, I'm guessing because the stamping just failed.
Is this possible? I've attached a scene showing my problem.

Attachments:
go_totem.zip (11.1 KB)

330 posts
hi ,

here is a quick suggestion .

- nodes in yellow , were added

- nodes in green , changed

for sure there are more than a way of doing it , but it depends on where you start and where do you want to stop .

my file is a H11 one , hope thats ok .

.cheers

Attachments:
go_totem_z.hipnc (94.3 KB)

except the things that cannot be seen , nothing is like it seems .
271 posts
Excellent zarti! Thanks very much, there's some good stuff for me to get my head around there. Particularly the attrib create node - so I can now create attributes and attach them to points or polygons? Houdini is crazy
271 posts
zarti - your explanation gave me an idea that was even simpler.
Just create an attribute on the circle that records it's radius. That is then passed all the way down to the copy SOP, so it can then be used, via stamping, to get the value back to box1
I've attached it in case anyone wants to take a look.

Attachments:
go_totem_v001.zip (12.9 KB)

• Quick Links