curled hair

4659   7   1
136 posts
Hello Houdini users,
Anyone knows how to create curled hair in Houdini? I viewed hair/fur tutorials and i can create basic fur, make it dynamic, change color etc. But now i want to make some curled hair- i need to do this for my projects - and for the life of me i have no idea how to obtain this… At least close to the sample i attached witch is done in other application. No tutorials on this topic over the net that i could find, so the community is my last resort.
Thank you,
Constantin

Attachments:
curled-hair.jpg (57.5 KB)

136 posts
No one knows how to do this or similar? Is not Houdini capable of more complex hair setups? I can do this in XSI with strands in ICE, in Houdini is not possible?
238 posts
how about being just a bit patient?
On a side note. As you got the maths down in ICE, why not trying to apply that to Houdini.
http://www.sekowfx.com [www.sekowfx.com]
136 posts
sekow
how about being just a bit patient?
On a side note. As you got the maths down in ICE, why not trying to apply that to Houdini.

If i would knew how to do it in Houdini i would not be here asking, right? If you know the answer please post it, if not move along…. You're post is not helping me at all.
918 posts
Constantin, relax - some people do sleep ;-)

You should be able to do whatever you want. Start by altering the guide hairs. Either before they are distributed on the geometry or after. Have a look inside the Fur object, it's all there for you. As Sebastian said, if you got it in ICE you're not far from getting this to work in Houdini.

Have fun,

Andy
636 posts
just made a quick and DIRTY test… it's a start but not much more…

i knowledge about Houdini fur system is pretty basic….

Attachments:
curly_hair_test.hipnc (1.8 MB)

174 posts
I'm sorry, do not know how to approach it but it reminds me of this .hip file
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&p=129499#129499 [sidefx.com]
136 posts
Thank you so much mandrake0 and NNois. This is what i was looking for. My error was that i tried to modify the guide inside the fur node. Well good luck with that. now i know that i need to model my guide outside.
Thank you once more,
Constantin
  • Quick Links