In-depth Houdini fluid tutorials?

4761   8   1
210 posts
Because I can't find any, I wanna ask you guys. Maybe you know some or have other tips and advices.
I'm search for tutorials that explain setting up fluids (and maybe even other dynamic simulations like smoke fire and all that kind of stuff). Unfortunatelly all tuts I know just teach you how to use the shelf buttons. This is not what I'm searching for. I would like to get used to setting this up manually because I think, knowing how to set this up manually is a crucial skill you need when it comes to customising something like that. Just using the shelf buttons doesn't make you familiar with the settup behind that automatism.
Admittedly there are a few tutorials about that but they are either too basic or too andvanced but nothing that is really helpful to me.
Hope you guys know some tuts.
918 posts
Hi,

if I remember correctly the FLIP Fluid Masterclass explains the various parameters of the flip solver in detail:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1834&Itemid=344 [sidefx.com]

For other related tutorials I've found Peter Quints Houdini tutorials on Vimeo invaluable: https://vimeo.com/channels/54102 [vimeo.com]

Have fun,

Andy
210 posts
Well, first of all thanks for the hints but I already know both of them and they are not very helpful. The masterclass covers the different parameters and such but it doesn't explain the settup behind it. I would like to know how to build a fluid/smoke/fire/you name it network from scratch instead of just using shelf buttons. There is a difference between learning and understanding/internalising and I wanna understand/internalise. The masterlass and mr quint are mostly shelf button users so they don't quite offer the teaching material I'm looking for.
636 posts
Maybe this one will help:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2200&Itemid=344 [sidefx.com]
918 posts
I can't recall from memory but Peter Quint has a video where he exactly does that. Build it from the ground up. I don't remember if it was smoke or pyro either one of the two.

I guess we'll have to watch them all again ;-)

Andy

Korny Klown2
Well, first of all thanks for the hints but I already know both of them and they are not very helpful. The masterclass covers the different parameters and such but it doesn't explain the settup behind it. I would like to know how to build a fluid/smoke/fire/you name it network from scratch instead of just using shelf buttons. There is a difference between learning and understanding/internalising and I wanna understand/internalise. The masterlass and mr quint are mostly shelf button users so they don't quite offer the teaching material I'm looking for.
443 posts
In Houdini workflow changes with major release, but you can get idea how nodes work by Peter Quint's video.
210 posts
mandrake0
Maybe this one will help:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2200&Itemid=344 [sidefx.com]

Thanks, that looks a lot more decent. What I can tell so far that he the instructor does everything with so much naturalness and thus a bit to fast for me to follow. But I think if I watch often enough I will get a lot out of it.

Andy58
I can't recall from memory but Peter Quint has a video where he exactly does that. Build it from the ground up. I don't remember if it was smoke or pyro either one of the two.

I guess we'll have to watch them all again Wink

When I find the time I will give it a try and search for it
75 posts
It's running right now but have you looked into this CGWorkshop [workshops.cgsociety.org]? Looks pretty detailed.

FXPHD [fxphd.com] I found are pretty nice as well. The HOU203 Water Effects for H11 may be a bit dated but still have relevant information.
210 posts
Sorry for my delayed answer, I've been on a trip that turned out longer than expected.
Yes, FXPHD is probably a good resource but I'm having two problems with that.
1. It's quiet expensive and since I'm not using Houdini in production so far and I don't see that in the near future it probably wouldn't pay off.
2. Just because FXPHD is a well-known provider for cg education it doesn't mean that their HOU courses cover my needs in particular. It's a bit of a pig in a poke.

I just wanted to get familiar with the topic, to see if I have a way with it before I go the next (professional) steps.
  • Quick Links