Tutorial 01 crashes on make breakable

2689   7   1
7 posts
Hi There, I just started learning houdini and the apprentice x64 version keeps crashing when i get to a part of the first tutorial. At the point where you make the pillar breakable, it crashes everytime I hit play.

I've tried checking the forums and tried these to no avail.
- i've switched the solver from BULLET to RBD
- tried the 3d perspective view to 3.3, 2.1, 1.1
- double checked for bad poly's on the pillar
- i also just built a new scene with a ground plane and a sphere that was
made and rbd object then made it breakable and dropped it on the ground.

Is there something i'm doing wrong when assigning the dynamic objects? Or is there some setting I don't know about still….? sucks that i'm stuck on tutorial 01 .some help please =]
4189 posts
Can you upload your crash log. Thanks!

Also your computer specs too. i.e. graphics card & driver, operating system and Houdini version. If you're on Windows 7 makes sure to install the security and maintenance updates.
7 posts
Specs:
32gb RAM DDR3
win7x64
ATI Radeon 7970FX

Houdini FX version. 13.0.509
amd catalyst ver. 14.4

===================

Using a sphere thats been made a rigid body object and had make breakable applied to it.:
solver - RBD
3d viewport - 1.1

5944: Fatal error: Illegal instruction
Saving application data to CUsers/BOWSER/AppData/Local/Temp/crash.test.01.BOWSER_5944.hip

3d viewport 3.3
6280: Fatal error: Illegal instruction
Saving application data to CUsers/BOWSER/AppData/Local/Temp/crash.test.01.BOWSER_6280.hip

===============================
columns tutorial :
solver RBD
3d viewport - 3.3

7108: Fatal error: Illegal instruction
Saving application data to CUsers/BOWSER/AppData/Local/Temp/crash.tut_columns.03.BOWSER_7108.hip

Sorry i'm not familiar with the terminology. Hope this is what you're talking about.
7735 posts
Usually, the dialog after where it says the crashed .hip got saved is where the crashlog .txt file gets saved. Having that would be useful.
7 posts
ooohh right…
ok see attached logs.

Attachments:
crash.test.01.BOWSER_6280_log.txt (4.6 KB)
crash.test.01.BOWSER_5944_log.txt (4.6 KB)
crash.tut_columns.03.BOWSER_7108_log.txt (4.6 KB)

7735 posts
That looks like a pretty consistent crash when running the VEX code used in your file to me. I'd log this as a bug (see the Support menu above). Make sure you attach .hipnc file along with instructions in the description on how to reproduce with your .hipnc file.
7 posts
ok thanks for everything! report submitted.
I've never submitted a bug report before but i'm guessing i shouldn't expect a solution to this anytime soon right?
7 posts
I just wanted to follow up on this. Turns out I didn't have service pack 1 for windows installed on my machine. After updating that it worked properly.

thanks to the support team for their quick response! and for everyones input
  • Quick Links