Houdini to After Effects colour change!

4718   6   1
13 posts
So,
I know this problem has been discussed here before but I can't find the thread anywhere. Been looking for about an hour now!

The problem is that the render in Houdini looks different in After Effects / Nuke etc. In Houdini (on the top) the fire appears more orange and energic. But in After effects (on the bottom) it seems like there is something wrong with the alpha of the render. The values are weakened by something.

I'm sorry I know this has been discussed before, but I cant find it.

If you know the post I am refering to, or know what causes this that would be a great help! I'm very new to the Mantra renderer

Thanks!

Attachments:
Houdini-AfterFX.jpg (228.9 KB)

Audun Åse - VFX Artist
www.affex.no
7723 posts
Probably a gamma difference?
Staff
5161 posts
This looks like an alpha premultiplication issue. What image format are you using?
13 posts
I would think this is an issue with the alpha map. I am using the .exr file format. I get the same problem with other file types. Pretty sure this is not an issue with Gamma, as I am using linear workflow.

I'm guessing alpha, but if anyone have any ideas I would love to hear them
Audun Åse - VFX Artist
www.affex.no
4189 posts
Please upload you rendered file and we can check it.

Note the forum software may need you to zip the file to able to upload it. Thanks!
258 posts
Looks like a straight alpha being interpreted as pre-multiplied. That said with linear exr files, you also have to turn color management off under interpret footage, and turn on preserve RGB. Set your color management at the project level, srgb rec709 etc…
13 posts
Turns out sl0throp was right! I had a closer look on managing colours inside After Effects. Interestingly enough I've never had the need to until now!

Thanks for your help folks!
Audun Åse - VFX Artist
www.affex.no
  • Quick Links