Fluid Explodes?

2353   2   2
2528 posts
Hi All,

I am trying to make a scene where a volume of fluid rushes in from the side around a static rigid body obstacle.

I have the scene setup with two boxes. One box is the large domain area that the smaller box resides within. The smaller box I have converted to fluid so it acts as the initial body of water. I have added initial velocity to the smaller box to make it move in towards the obstacle.

This all works, but soon after the simulation begins the initial volume of fluid tends to explode like it is colliding with itself. (white particles in image)

Can someone take a look at my scene and tell me if I have this setup correctly? Or offer up a way to prevent the fluid from exploding on itself?

Thanks

Attachments:
ap_bottle_splash_(SIMGEN)_2b.hiplc.hipnc (1.6 MB)
fluid_problem.jpg (112.3 KB)

Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Ubuntu 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
17 posts
The reason your fluid is exploding is because it is colliding with your “domain” static object, but it is inside of the object, so it is constantly in collision and constantly trying to escape.

To get your box to act like a container (like walls of a building, instead of a brick) you need to reverse your face normals.

Simply place a Reverse SOP between box1 and attribcreate1 in /obj/domain. that should fix the problem.

Also, it is not necessary to manually create container like this. The FLIP solver has built-in limits on the Volume Motion / Volume Limits tab. You can set which boundaries you want the FLIP Object to collide with on the Initial Data tab (Closed Boundaries parameters).
Staff
4159 posts
You can also invert the sign on the collision object itself! So many options!

Attachments:
screenshot-area-2015-02-28-183938.png (38.1 KB)

I'm o.d.d.
  • Quick Links