Missing textures from otl in render

2933   2   2
2 posts
Hi folks,

I have creating a bunch of characters as otls and have them installed in a couple of hip files. I have embedded the textures so that they don't require any other files. In fact, I need to hand the hip files to my tutor since this is an assignment and prefer that he only need the hip files and audio. Thats one reason why I made otls (cause I think its cool

I moved the hip file to another location to test this and everything seemed fine until I did a quick render. The textures weren't there. Just the “I don't know where the texture is so I will be pink”. In the viewport however the textures are fine.

In the manual it says
“Within the scene file there is an embedded OTL that can contain operator definitions that have been saved into the scene. This definition can be used by the scene if the disk-based definition is missing.”

So I assume the hip file shouldn't need the otl. I checked the shopnetwork and it finds the textures ok. The texture map is being referenced in the shader using the “opdef:” syntax as well. If I install the otls from the file menu, then everything is fine, but I don't want the tutor to have to do this in each hip file for each otl.

Any ideas on whats wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help
Dave

PS: Sorry for the lengthy post. I just want to try to make it clear what I have done.
23 posts
When you created these digital assets did you copy any previous one that had embedded textures? I don't know if this is the case, but I've found that if you copy a digital asset, then the new one points to the textures in the old one. So if the old one is gone, the new one loses the link to the textures. (You would assume that it would automatically point inside itself rather than point to the otl it was copied from, but it doesn't.) Make sure that your texture references are looking in the right place. You might want to try deleting the texture maps from the otl, re-embedding them, then re-referencing them.

Christine Smith
Northrop Grumman
Engineering Visualization Resource
2 posts
Hi Christine.

Thanks for your help. Fortunately I have just received a response from support. They mentioned that when an otl is embedded inside a hip file, mantra can't access the texture. Since my hip file can't find the otl, it embeds it and so the problem occurs. If your'e interested I have posted a more detailed explanation over at od:

http://odforce.net/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=15&t=2820&st=12#entry18531 [odforce.net]

Regards
Dave Thomas
  • Quick Links