Edge extrude

12723   8   3
1755 posts
Can I do this (first attachment) when edge extruding in Houdini? I looked, read the docs but couldn't find anything.

I really need to be able to do that - not a very useful edge extrude if you don't have a controllable base width.

And that's not all, the worst is this: I really have troubles thinking of an example where I'd use edge extr in H as it currently is because it creates non-manifold geometry.

Now, if I didn't somehow miss some setting/s that takes care of this problem, the edge extrude needs some urgent love.

Attachments:
edge_extr_S.gif (222.0 KB)
H_edge_extr.jpg (159.3 KB)

678 posts
This looks more like extrude + bevel.
1755 posts
bextrude.
or extrudel

On the other hand looks like an edge extrude that's useful for inner edges (connecting two polys), which also doesn't produce non-manifold geometry.
1755 posts
A friend sent me this.

Attachments:
max_extr_edges.jpg (154.5 KB)

387 posts
Yes, it looks like its bevel then extrude.
What about this?

It could be addition for the new polyextrude -> special case for extruding edge selection when inset parameter is set to value larger then zero (then inset parameter could define bevel width).

Attachments:
pz_edge_bevel_extrude.gif (1.7 MB)

1755 posts
Looks good. But if we want to get technical, it's actually a bevel with one repetition of which the inner edge loop is displaced up or down orthogonally. No extrude. At least not an extrude op. but otherwise it is a real world extrude.
Whatever it is/called, we need it.
1755 posts
Oh hey there,
I can see from these lasts builds that SESI is playing with the new extrude/bridge tools, improving and fixing them. Has the suggestion above appeared on your radar?

Would be great to have this functionality since the current extrusion result of an inner edge is rarely if ever used. I never needed such a poly loop, especially since it's connected to the edge loop it has been extruded from, resulting in a non-manifold piece of geometry.
1265 posts
+1 Please!

8)
Werner Ziemerink
Head of 3D
www.luma.co.za
93 posts
Houdin 15.5

Attachments:
temp1.hiplc (57.5 KB)

• Quick Links