Shader FX 2.0 menu - where it is?

5150   6   2
14 posts
Hello to everyone!

Have installed H15 Apprentice, have seen Shader FX 2.0 menu rebuilt etc in trailer. Have trying to find something - but haven't. Maybe I'm blind, maybe I misunderstood something.

I see, of coarse, that now using the Principled shader I can see tangent normal map in viewport etc., without coding. Is this what it means?

Can you help me with this please?

Best regards,
Paul M.
Staff
2540 posts
ShaderFX is accessed by using the MMB (Middle Mouse Button) on input tabs of the various VOPs.

MMB on input tabs brings up menus that you can then perform operations to construct VOP nodes for that input. You can even MMB on these inputs that already have wired inputs to merge/add/blend things.

These are all driven by script files on disk so are fully customizable.
There's at least one school like the old school!
14 posts
Thank you for your answer, Jeff!

Now I see it.
Some reason I've thought that ShaderFX in new Houdini is something like ShaderFX 2.0 in Maya products - something, that allow me to built viewport GL shaders with vop nodes, without writing GLSL code.
Staff
2540 posts
No GLSL node network in H15. Although you can author your own GLSL shaders and use them in the viewport.

We don't see VOPs authoring GLSL at this time. VEX is way too flexible to shove in to GLSL.

We are writing the GLSL to try to match what the shaders are doing in Mantra though.
14 posts
There is a sense in your words, Jeff.

I am something near to intermediate Houdini user(most on simulations, pyro, liquids etc), and there always was a problem to me in H. to work with viewport. Now in my work I need to see better in realtime, and Houdini seems to little unfriendly to me that case. For example, using different UVsets, blend tangent space normal map together etc. Maybe refraction. There is a lot of GLSL examples in Hou installed files, but I've found only the copy-paste way to see them work, which is kind of sticky work. And I've for some reason couldn't make default GL shader to work properly with “caclulateLighting” crash. Have topics on forums, have searched for nice examples - found nothing. But this is offtopic.

Thank's for your answer again!
Staff
2540 posts
There are specific workflows for every point you made in your post:

To work with different uv sets, you can use the Layer SOP as it was intended to work with uv, uv2, uv3, … uv sets.
If you are using Houdini, use the uv sets this way.

Working with uv layers is straightforward to some artists and complicated for others. This is why the Mari approach to using UDIM layouts in a single uv layer is taking over. Houdini15 can work with uv layer sets or UDIM single uv layers.
It looks like UDIM's are here to stay and most software has updated to support it. Including H15. The viewport supports UDIM textures.

As for crashing with calculateLighting, submit a repeatable test case in to support.
14 posts
Thanks for answer again!
Sorry, was unable to post before.
I know multiple UVs workflow in Houdini, but thank you for explanation. It's just misunderstanding based on my poor vocabulary. But I've “upgraded” it quite a lot.
There is a new issue with OGL that is more important to me and - I'm sure - straight connected with computeLighting, kind of repeatable, will send file to support soon.
I create default OGL shader, with it's own default code. Add all parameters from OGL folder. For now, everything is working fine. But when I put .prog file(everyone, even constant etc.) from Houdini OpenGL examples into “GLSL Shader” field my Houdini crashed without any error code.
My system is Win 10 x64, NVidia GTX 460. I know that should send report - and would do this - but posting there too.
  • Quick Links