Can't load asset in C4D

4989   16   3
2 posts
I followed the tutorial here: https://cineversity.com/vidplaylist/getting_started_with_houdini_engine/getting_started_with_houdini_engine_creating_a_simple_asset_in_houdini [cineversity.com]
But when I download the space ship and try to open it in R16 I see this error:

I've tried this with different assets and none will load.
76 posts
Hello
Welcome to Hou world of mysteries

If you are from plugin-cafe(your nickname) - start c4d with debug console to look what wrong + a few flags to hou.enviro - we have a little debug information from hapi… not from maxon, they are in shadows and have not interest in product

if have not info - resolve by yourself or you're not drive over system settings or requirements from documentation
i'm sorry for my English
340 posts
terrachild@aol.com
I followed the tutorial here: https://cineversity.com/vidplaylist/getting_started_with_houdini_engine/getting_started_with_houdini_engine_creating_a_simple_asset_in_houdini [cineversity.com]
But when I download the space ship and try to open it in R16 I see this error:

I've tried this with different assets and none will load.

Can you please make a screen grab of your C4D preferences “Houdini Engine” tab?

Cheers
2 posts
noseman, I'm the ‘MochaBlend C4D’ guy that spoke to you at Siggraph.

hmm…this forum doesn't seem to display images.
76 posts
Hello Chris
Have you read this article [sidefx.com]
I mean licensing of HE
i'm sorry for my English
340 posts
Hello then!

A few questions:
Which build of R16 C4D do you have?
Go to the Help menu and select About. I need your version (16.xxx) and build.

What version of Houdini do you have?
for example.
Indie
FX
indie Engine
Full engine

What Houdini license version do you have?
H14 or H15?

Last thing (for now).
If you have any Houdini (GUI version) please try to install the asset inside Houdini and tell me if it works.

Please post these details to allow me to troubleshoot better.
Thanks
22 posts
C4D: R16 RB131856
Houdini FX: 14.0.367 ‘Apprentice’
Not sure where to check the Houdini license?

I followed the instructions for the ‘Cinema 4D Houdini Integration - Pubic Beta’

I tried loading the spaceship in Houdini and I saw this error:

Thanks
Edited by - Nov. 18, 2015 15:36:23
340 posts
terrachild
'Apprentice'…

gotcha!
Apprentice is NOT supported for none of the 3D applications other than Houdini itself.

Please check this thread.

https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=39259 [sidefx.com]

If you want a trial license to check it out, go to this thread and follow instructions:
https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=39229 [sidefx.com]

Sorry but this is NOT a C4D specific issue.
Cheers
22 posts
I did get a trial license first, but it was for the latest Houdini, and I read that the C4D beta test wouldn't work with the latest Houdini.
340 posts
terrachild
I did get a trial license first, but it was for the latest Houdini, and I read that the C4D beta test wouldn't work with the latest Houdini.

C4D R16 (beta plugin) and R17 currently work with Houdini 14.
Contact SideFX and ask for a H14 temporary license.

Cheers
85 posts
noseman
C4D R16 (beta plugin) and R17 currently work with Houdini 14. Cheers

Sorry to say this, but this is not 100% certain to me.
The last two weeks I was fighting a combo H15/R17, and I lost.
The result of that was that I had to uninstall H15, sidefx support-team had to change my license back to H14.
But it was not over then, I was still fighting to get H14.0.367 to work otherwise I could not use it together with C4D. Somehow H14.0.400 prevented the use of H14.0.367 because of incompatibility's issue's.

At the very end I had to uninstall C4D R17 and that made H14.0.367 start to work again.

Sidefx support helped me in this process, they where very helpful.

The last messages I received from them regarding this issue where:

“Hi Robert,

From our devs:
”Since you're able to run 14.0.367 now, if you reinstall Cinema4D R17, are you able to use Engine in Cinema4D, and Houdini? Maybe you just need to avoid installing newer Houdini 14.0 versions. Sorry for the inconvenience!

I don't know what their exact schedule for Houdini 15 is. It's best if you contact them directly to ask about Houdini 15, so that they know there are users waiting for it.“

Cheers,

Support”

But two hours later I received the following:

“Hi Robert,

Our devs tell me that they spoke too soon. Apparently, nstalling R17 again would probably cause license issues with Indie again. It's probably best not to install R17 until they have support for Houdini 15.0.

Its time for me to start chasing Maxon's support I guess, because now I cannot use R17 on my LapTop any more because of this… Its a big pain!
They promised us a bird with R17 in conjunction with Houdini, but it appears to be dead.

Regards, Robert
Houdini, Cinema4D, 3Dcoat, Marvelous Designer
340 posts
Hi Robert,
I understand your frustration but I'm afraid there's nothing I can help you with at this point.

This is in the hands of Maxon and SideFX. I wish there was something I could do to help.
201 posts
For what it's worth, I am able to operate Houdini 15 & C4D R17 on the same workstation, though I am not using the Houdini engine at all.
340 posts
Hi Robert,
I took another shot at reading your recent post.
There's something odd about the SideFX comments.

installing R17 shouldn't interfere with any other software.
You should be able to run H14 or H15 while R17 is installed.

As far as I can tell, you can't have a H15 license and run H14 Indie Engine.

I have C4D, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 and Houdini 14 & 15 running without issues, but I have an FX H15 license, so I can run any engine I want.

Also, I have no idea why you can't run R17 with H14 indie Engine. Everyone else with a H14 indie Engine license seems to be running R17 just fine.
C4D ONLY loads the Engine if the Correct version is found (installed).

Robert Glotzbach
At the very end I had to uninstall C4D R17 and that made H14.0.367 start to work again.
That doesn't make sense to me. R17, or any other version of C4D doesn't interfere with Houdini in any way.

There's definitely something “fishy”.

would you be kind enough to do the following (I know you probably did, but please humour me):

1. Please make sure you have Houdini 14 (any build would do).
2. Launch Houdini and install (load) an asset from orbolt (e.g. Spaceship).
3. install C4D R17 Studio
4. install any online updates (if any)
5. Go to C4D Help menu and select “About”. Find the C4D version (17.xxx) and the build number.
7. Go to the “pipeline” menu. Is “Load Asset” available?
a. if “Load Asset” is available, go to C4D preferences, and select “Houdini Engine”. What is the version?
b. if NOT, select “Get Houdini installer”

IF b:
8. install Houdini and relaunch C4D. Then do 7a (What is the version)?

If all is good, you should be able to load any asset.
Please tell me in which step this falls apart.

Just to make sure, do you have an indie Engine license, or an indie license?
Cheers
2 posts
Hello
I have a problem with downloading houdini asset to C4D.Cinema ver R19, Houdini Apprentice. Also install Houdini Engine Indie, doing license process, download asset from Orbolt. But when i try to open it in Cinema has a failed window like this

Attachments:
Без имени.png (34.4 KB)

Staff
1599 posts
Try putting the OTL file in a path that only contains ASCII characters. Houdini on Windows doesn't have very good support for Unicode file paths at the moment.
2 posts
ndickson
Try putting the OTL file in a path that only contains ASCII characters. Houdini on Windows doesn't have very good support for Unicode file paths at the moment.
I copy OTL file to disc C and try again, but have the same problem.

Attachments:
Без имени.png1.png (26.3 KB)

• Quick Links