HQueue sim CPU usage...

2829   2   1
15 posts
Hello, this issue is killing me…I have 3 clients running, a 12 core windows 10 machine and two win7 6 core machines. I can get HQueue to take a job and distribute it properly. The job will even successfully complete, given enough time. However, each machine only seems to use a single thread to execute the sliced sim. What is up with that? Is it a bug, or am I missing a setting somewhere for something like “Max CPU”? This is using the latest build of H15.

Thanks!
Staff
4159 posts
That's really strange, I've never seen that. I have little Windows-Houdini experience though.

If you run the jobs on each machine individually, without HQ, does it do the same thing?

Might be a bug; did the distributed simulations masterclass on vimeo provide some suggestions/ideas?
I'm o.d.d.
8 posts
the master class does limited the cpu to 12(according to their machine spec). But however, this does not solve the issue. From what I can see when I do my test(might post another thread) distributed sim is very slow compare to a single machine if it's below certain threshold(say even at 15m particles it's still slower to run sim distributed), this is build 15.0.347.

Also, master class do have a part that Jeff walk through how to also limit the tank_initial part, so make sure you also use that to reduce memory usage.
  • Quick Links