Melting Falling Spheres

   2780   1   0
User Avatar
Member
29 posts
Joined: May 2015
Offline
I am trying to accomplish something with a similar consistency to this: https://vimeo.com/120361989 [vimeo.com]

I created all the geo including the falling spheres in c4d then imported into Houdini as an alembic. I created the particles with the Melt Object shelf tool.

Currently my particle separation is .01 but the simulation still doesn't seem like it has enough resolution because in the render I'm getting lots of jitter, pops, and the fluid doesn't fill the whole space like I want it to. It also is not very thick. When I add more viscosity it the fluid doesn't spread out, the particles just stop.

I want the spheres to land, then gradually spread out and fill the entire space.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Attachments:
SC_forUpload_v03.hiplc (903.2 KB)

User Avatar
Member
2660 posts
Joined: June 2008
Offline
I can't review your scene because it is missing the .abc file. The Alembic node does have a Lock Flag that you can turn on. This way the .abc is actually stored in the HIP file for easy single file transfer. The file size will increase, however.

There are a few things to try in the flipsolver1 node inside the AutoDopNetwork.

Turn off Kill Outside Volume Limits. That may help with some of the jittering. By not killing any of the particles and associated volumes you can limit the re-arrangement of geometry. If you need the boundary to be an edge consider placing a rigid body wall collider instead. All fluid will remain in the system.

Set the Timescale to 1.0. If you want to use 0.8 you may need to dive into the solver node, by unlocking it, and check that all references to the Timescale Parameter are actually linked to the parameter on the Flip Solver Substeps TAB.

This video shows how to review and configure the Timescale parameter inside the flipsolver HDA.
https://vimeo.com/121376943 [vimeo.com]

You may want to Add Vorticity just stir things around a bit, The jumping might be the result of some particles that are just too close to one another. By stirring the pot you can reduce those chances.
Using Houdini Indie 20.5
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3060RTX 12BG RAM.
  • Quick Links