User vs C4D controled Vertex Map -> Houdini

2081   7   2
9 posts
Hello,

I made a very simple example to learn how to control stuff in houdini with a vertex map from c4d and I noticed it all works fine when I edit the map with Paint tool in c4d, but if I control the vertex map, lets say with tension tag, it doesn't get updated, the only way I found to update it, is to remove the object link in the asset and relink it.

Is this a limitation?

Thanks,

Sandi
9 posts
Also, here is the file:

Example_01, simply paint the vertex map and you will see displacement updates right away,

Example_02, select the vertex map and press play, it is animated, but DA is not refreshing.

Attachments:
DA_displace_vertexmap.zip (326.6 KB)

342 posts
It does indeed look like a bug.
I'll report it right away.

Cheers
342 posts
While we wait, please see attached a small hack to make it work.
Use your Tension tag to drive another Vertex map (Stretch 1), and use the XPRESSO setup I posted to send the data from that vertex map to the “Stretch”.
this setup works, although it's not an elegant solution.

Cheers

Attachments:
XPRESSO hack.jpg (37.8 KB)

9 posts
Wow, thanks!

This works like a charm, next on my list is to do it via a shader, but tomorow

Initially I had a problem with animation in DA, I had animated a ramp in Houdini, and in cinema it looked like step animation.
Also I noticed Ramp is not a supported parameter by the plugin, can you confirm this?
I mean if you add it in “Edit Asset Properties” it does not convert it to c4d Spline Field, I guess stuff like this is known to the developers, or should I report it?

Thanks,

Sandi
342 posts
I'm afraid ramps are not supported.

Cheers
11 posts
noseman
I'm afraid ramps are not supported.

Cheers

Hi Noseman, any idea if this is in the pipes to be supported? Ramps are pretty crucial to Houdini workflow and it would be nice to have some supported mapping of it to C4D.
342 posts
Unfortunately I have no idea what Maxon's roadmap is for the Houdini Engine.
Cheers
  • Quick Links