Asset input DAG path

2254   1   1
140 posts
Hi all,

Is there a way to get the DAG path of the asset's input mesh?

My use case:
I'm creating a bunch of objects dynamically in the session's /obj path, which I then export to FBX with a dynamically created ROP in the session's /out path.

If I could get the DAG path of the mesh I'm using as input, it would make it a lot easier to create names for my dynamic objects and their nested subnets, as well as filenames for FBX output.

I heard a rumor that this is possible, but only for h15.5, via a detail attribute containing the DAG path of the input. (EDIT: Confirmed, it's there)

Also, maybe related to this post:
https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/38022/ [sidefx.com]

Is there a way to determine the DAG path of an object that a Houdini asset is parented to in the Maya scene hierarchy? The use case here would be setting a bunch of attribs, parms, and node names based on the asset's parent.

I'm not looking to import maya cmds into my asset script, that sounds like dark magic that will break its containment ward at 2am on a Friday, but I would like to know all the ways in which I can get information about the asset input.

cheers,
-John
Edited by stjohn - July 20, 2016 12:24:56
818 posts
Yup, you seemed to have found the attribute already. The “maya_source_dag” attribute stores the full DAG path of the input geometry.
Andrew / アンドリュー
  • Quick Links