Poly Bridge winding

4112   4   4
2 posts
Hello, this is my first post, so yes I am a NooB to Houdini, but not to 3D. I have a video of my first procedural model, but I am having an issue. It has to do with the Poly Bridge (I think), I have attached a link to a video and my file, all critiques are welcome too; I want to learn the most efficient best way.

Beyond that topic is there a connect component like Maya or Max? I want to select 2 points and create an edge to connect them. The only solution I have found is to use the PolySplit (over and over).

Thanks!

Dan

Attachments:
Lamp02_fin.hipnc (432.7 KB)

34 posts
Maybe you can use Poly Knit SOP
6 posts
I am also in a polybridge nightmare. I've done this about 12 times on these two objects. It only came out right once. I've tried adding them one at a time, selecting them in order, entering the poly numbers manually. I may go back to modo for this piece and import the geo back. Each poly seems to guess at it's own twist arbitrarily.
Attachment Not Found

Attachments:
mine_09_EndNG.hipnc (302.7 KB)

1743 posts
Hi eyeclick! Your HIP file seems to be missing several assets, so I can't check directly what's going on, but it looks like it might be something related to vertex order. If I do something similar, but add a Primitive SOP, select one of the end primitives for Source Group, and on the Face/Hull tab, set Vertex to Shift, and adjust U Offset, the correspondence seems to change between the two sides. I'm not sure whether this is intentional behaviour or not, but I'll ask someone who might know more.
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
555 posts
FWIW, I started with Bridge too…found it too finicky…in the end, threw out initial approach and went in entirely different direction….FAR more stable, check here: (no bridge from ver 1.04 on)

http://forums.odforce.net/topic/32190-mobius-modeling-how-we-can-do-the-twisting-in-houdini/?tab=comments#comment-177522 [forums.odforce.net]

(yes I know it can't be applied in all situations, but my point is if you can help it, avoid bridge…)
Edited by vusta - Jan. 2, 2018 17:01:41
  • Quick Links