Houdini Engine integration in custom app with c++

5576   3   0
7 posts
Hello,
I am new to Houdini and I would like to check the possibility to integrate Houdini in our content generation pipeline. The experiment I would like to run is:

1. An artist create asset in Houdini (currently a simple digital asset that creates a sphere geometry and exposes a parameter for the radius)
2. In custom scene editor (c++ based app) a programmer should develop a way to expose a function to add a sphere in the scene with a given radius. This should demonstrate adding procedural assets in the scene using Houdini, with the understanding that in the future more complex assets can be used.

for step 1 Artist created helloWorld.hdanc, is this correct?
for step 2 Programmer needs to write a Houdini engine plugin for the custom c++ app? is there any representative sample that could be relevant to us?
HDK documentation, Houdini engine documentation, I am confused which one we should use and what these API's are called?

thanks,
Emanuel
7714 posts
1. I don't think Houdini Engine supports non-commercial HDAs (ie. those created from Houdini Apprentice). I think you need at least an Indie license and create helloWolrd.hdalc. See also https://www.sidefx.com/forum/topic/39238/ [sidefx.com]

2. I don't know if this is too much but you can check out the HoudiniEngineFor* projects at https://github.com/sideeffects [github.com]

3. HDK is for writing Houdini plugins. To integrate Houdini Engine, you use the Houdini Engine API [sidefx.com]. Just noticed that there's “Full Source Samples” in there as well.
Edited by edward - March 29, 2017 01:12:03
7 posts
Hi Edward,
thanks for the response.

…so in my case is not needed a plugin and It would be enough to use the Houdini engine API's from my app (focusing on Houdini engine API documentation)?

thanks,
Emanuel
7714 posts
I think so.
  • Quick Links