Shading gone wrong

2598   3   0
26 posts
Hi there,

I have modeled a Troy Roadster. But when I rendered the car, something went wrong with the shading. The geometry is bending a bit on the front and where it bends, the shading goes wrong. Do you have any advices?

Thank you!

- Atle

Attachments:
rendered_car_nuke_sidefx.jpg (102.2 KB)
screen_shot1.JPG (99.5 KB)
screen_shiot0.JPG (207.1 KB)

918 posts
Try to use a ‘normal’ SOP on your car geometry. Be sure to choose the right angles, or set it to point mode.

Hope that helps.
Andy
710 posts
Hi, nice model. The first thing I would do is turn on primitive normal display and check the direction of the normals for those polygons. You can also bring up the display options ('d' in viewport) and enable Remove Backfaces under the Optimize tab. That will turn off visibility for polygons facing away from the viewer.
The Reverse SOP can flip the direction of normals if that is the issue.
Or perhaps you have vertex normals on your geometry and they were modified upstream. In that case you could either remove any N attributes on your model or apply fresh ones with the Normal SOP. Either way I'm guessing the issue is your normals.
26 posts
Thank you very much guys!

It was a tricky one this model but in the end the normal sop was a very good choice. I just tried to get the cusp angle to work proper (by guessing) and finaly I made a good choice.
The cusp normals is a good setting to play with, but do you know a good method to choose the right angle without guessing like I did?
Edited by atlemgw - May 29, 2017 18:49:58

Attachments:
car6_nuke.jpg (355.0 KB)

• Quick Links