Bake animation doesn't work with vertex animation?

5745   9   0
5 posts
I'm trying to export a simple animation “Growing line” into Unity. But the “Bake animation” seems doesn't work.

The animation is very simple as below:

Curve
I
Carve <- Key frame the second U here.
I
Wireframe

How to make it work in Unity? I searched for few hours, but still cannot find a clue.
571 posts
Are you getting any errors? Do you have an animation component on the gameobject?
5 posts
seelanv
Are you getting any errors? Do you have an animation component on the gameobject?

I hit “Bake animation” button in Unity, a message box popup “No animation was found to bake”.

I'm using Houdini 16.0.621.
Edited by AllenDang - June 6, 2017 22:13:11
5 posts
Waited two days and no valid feedback…..

I mean, can we have a complete feature list of Houdini Engine for Unity? I can know for sure something is not working right now and shouldn't keep waiting for help.
571 posts
Sorry for the delay. I looked at this briefly yesterday and came across the same error message, but didn't get the opportunity to dive into it further. Will get back to you today.

As for the latter point about a feature list, it is something we're working on.
571 posts
For what you're trying to do, the topology is changing therefore the Bake Animation feature wasn't meant for something like that. Bake Animation is meant specifically for animation of transform data.

I did try out what you're trying to do with growing a line and applying a carve. Since topology is changing, you can try out the Vertex Animation Texture feature. There is a Unity tutorial here: https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/unity-shaders-for-vertex-animation-export-tools/ [www.sidefx.com]

I've tried this method and it works well. Just make sure you're import settings in Unity for the mesh and textures are exactly as how its in the tutorial. Let me know if you have any issues with it.
5 posts
Thanks you!

I'm stuck by install the Game Dev tools from github. I download the package from Development branch, unzip, merge content to /Users//Library/Preferences/houdini/, open houdini, and I cannot find Vertex Animation Texture Beta rop in Houdini.

So I open Houdini, Assets -> Manage Asset Lib, none of the new hda files come with Game Dev tools are installed.

I tried to install them manually by use the Houdini Menu, Assets -> Install, error message pops up say:

…/rop_volumn_texture_1 is a invalid operator type library.

I thought maybe the expanded HDA has a different way to install, google, no answer…
Edited by AllenDang - June 9, 2017 01:53:46
571 posts
rop_volume_texture_1 is not the one you want. With the manual method, you just need to try to install the rop_vertex_animation_textures.hda folder. Select that folder in the Select File dialog.
394 posts
And to add to that change the name of the rop_volume_texture folder to “rop_volume_texture_01.hda”. The folder names need to have “.hda” at the end to be recognized as an hda.

Mike
Edited by mikelyndon-sesi - June 9, 2017 23:48:10
5 posts
Thanks guys! I finally made it!
  • Quick Links