Reverse animation?

5827   4   2
464 posts
Hey guys!
Let's say I have an animation of a character swinging his sword (FK). What would be the best and fastest way of reversing such animation?
Edited by ajz3d - June 8, 2017 18:38:48
2529 posts
You can drop down a TimeWarp to remap time backwards. The TimeWarp node defaults to 1-100 frames remapped to 1-100 frames. Just reverse the second set of numbers to go from 100-1.

NOTE: Don't use 1-100, those are example numbers. Use the actual length of your animation you want to change.
Edited by Enivob - June 9, 2017 09:09:57
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Ubuntu 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
464 posts
Thanks Enivob, but it doesn't quite work as I'd like it to.

As I understand, I need to place this SOP inside my geometry object. That's the first problem, because the asset is locked and I'd like to keep it this way.

The second problem is that it breaks my character because skin-deformed geometry and animation controls get desynchronized. What it means is that keyframe positions and parameter values of those controls remain untouched, but at the same time geometry reverse deformation is applied to a different time frame. Additionally, the original deformation animation is destroyed.

Ideally I'd like to be able to perform this reverse action in Animation Editor, without having to unlock my asset. I also need reversed keyframes to appear in the editor in order to further modify them.
2529 posts
I imagined you would just write out your animated character as a .bgeo.sc sequence then bring it back into your scene via the File node. Then the time warp after a File node works fine.
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Ubuntu 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
8 posts
Hi, I can see this is an old question but I would simply like to add a suggestion,

For rendering purposes,
In the properties of the mantra node;

Key in the following in the Output Picture:
/path/render/Name_of_File.`Total_Number_of_Frames-$F`.jpg

The basic concept is to subtract the (total_number_of_frames + 1) - the frame number,
Eg: If there are 25 Frames and you would like animation to go in reverse,
26 - $F which means the last frame will have the name 1 and the first frame 25.

Hope this helps
Edited by Nikitha_Ann_George - April 11, 2018 04:02:07

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 04.01.09.png (124.1 KB)

• Quick Links