Houdini and keypad in linux

3181   3   1
581 posts
Hi all.
I can't use my keypad with houdini 8 in Ubuntu 5.10.
Houdini dosn't recognize the keypad keys, simple use them as the regular number keys, not the keypad number keys, so is the same to press ‘5’ that ‘Pad5’.
Anybody with the same problem?
Is a bug or i am missing something.

Thanks
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
4140 posts
Bizarre - you dont mention it so I have to ask: you turned the Num Lock key on? Assuming you have, and also assuming youre running Gnome(which I believe is the default desktop with Ubuntu), then perhaps its evil, evil Metacity? Ive turned my back on Gnome ever since Pennington and co. took over. So has Linus Torvalds if you follow this wonderfully entertaining Slashdot free-for-all [linux.slashdot.org].

Cheers,

J.C.

P.S. SESI web monitor - the forum keeps mussing up entries with single quotes in it - contantly adds a backslash again and again whenever I do a preview. Halp!
John Coldrick
581 posts
JColdrick
Bizarre - you dont mention it so I have to ask: you turned the Num Lock key on? Assuming you have, and also assuming youre running Gnome(which I believe is the default desktop with Ubuntu), then perhaps its evil, evil Metacity? Ive turned my back on Gnome ever since Pennington and co. took over. So has Linus Torvalds if you follow this wonderfully entertaining Slashdot free-for-all [linux.slashdot.org].

Cheers,

J.C.

P.S. SESI web monitor - the forum keeps mussing up entries with single quotes in it - contantly adds a backslash again and again whenever I do a preview. Halp!
Yes i have turned the NumLock on.
I am using gnome at work at the moment, normally i use only Window Maker, i think that for this type of work, and if one is used to a unix environment a window manager, a terminal and a file manager are enough to work.
I am having experimenting problems with window maker too:
http://odforce.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=3499 [odforce.net]
Un saludo
Best Regards

Pablo Giménez
4140 posts
The number/keypad thing is almost certainly something to do with the window manager within Gnome. If you're using Metacity - don't, it sucks lemons, a lot. Extreme lack of configurability. Keypad entry works fine AFAIK on all the major distros.

The other problem you link to on odforce is well known, there's a solution posted there I've noticed. For the longest time it was thought to be an issue with SESI and KDE, but as you've noticed it's not, appears more fundamental. Try starting houdini with:

houdini -geometry 1600x1200+0+0

but replace the 1600x1200 with the resolution of your desktop and see if that helps.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
  • Quick Links