Maya 2016 crashing when loading Houdini engine plugin

4131   11   2
6 posts
Hi,

We are using Maya 2016 Extension 1 + SP6 and Houdini version: 16.0.557, expected: 16.0.504 and Houdini Engine version: 3.0 (API: 58), expected: 3.0 (API: 57). When loading the houdiniEngine.mll in some machines, Mays crashs. Is there any known issue about it?

Thanks!
818 posts
If you're seeing a line like:
Houdini version: 16.0.557, expected: 16.0.504It means that the version of the Maya plugin and the Houdini libraries are mismatched. In your case, the version of the Maya plugin is 16.0.504, but the version of the loaded Houdini libraries is actually 16.0.557. It's possible that the Maya plugin for 16.0.557 is missing. Maybe try reinstalling Houdini 16.0.557 again, and make sure you the Maya plugin as well.
Andrew / アンドリュー
6 posts
Hi,
I try reinstalling and change the version. They are equal now (same Houdini version and engine), but Maya continues to crash. Is there any other suggestion?

Thank you!
818 posts
It's also possible that there are library conflicts between the Houdini Engine plugin and another Maya plugin. You could try:
1. Disable auto-loading of all Maya plugins
2. Restart Maya
3. Load only the Houdini Engine plugin
Andrew / アンドリュー
6 posts
I tried this too, but it did not work.
818 posts
Hm, maybe another thing is to try putting the Houdini bindirectory at the beginning of the PATHenvironment variable before loading the plugin:
1. Open Maya
2. Run the MEL command:
putenv PATH ("C:/Program Files/Side Effects Software/Houdini 16.0.557/bin;" + `getenv PATH`)
3. Load the Houdini Engine plugin
Edited by awong - July 24, 2017 09:40:42
Andrew / アンドリュー
6 posts
Same result… any other path that is important?
818 posts
Another possible conflict might be from a DLL that's in C:\Windows\System32. Would you be able to send me a list of the DLLs that are in C:\Windows\System32? You could do this in Python:
import glob
dlls = glob.glob("C:/Windows/System32/*.dll")
for dll in dlls:
    print dll
Copy the list of DLLs into a text file.

Also, when Maya crashed, did it generate a crash dump? If so, that might also be useful to have.

Please attach the above files to your post, or you could also email the files to support (and mention this forum thread).
Andrew / アンドリュー
6 posts
I am attaching the list of dlls. Unfortunately, the crash dump is not generated by Maya, I can not find any dump in temp folder.

Thank you for your support, I think this is a really weird case, I tried loading our 15 version in the machine that I get the crash and it loads:
// Creating an in-process Houdini Engine session. //
// Houdini Engine initialized successfully. //
// Houdini version: 15.0.393 //
// Houdini Engine version: 2.0 (API: 20) //

Are they too different?

Attachments:
list_dlls.txt (75.4 KB)

818 posts
Thanks for the list!

Many libraries that Houdini depends on were updated between releases, so it's possible that one of these libraries is causing conflict on the machines that are crashing.

Looking at the list, I noticed there's a opencl.dllin the C:\Windows\System32, which is likely installed by your graphics card driver. Maybe the OpenCL version is older than what Houdini requires. Is the graphics card driver fairly old? Could you try updating your graphics card driver so that the opencl.dllcould be updated?
Andrew / アンドリュー
6 posts
Thank you for your help, I think it worked! We have other machines with this issue, and we will check, but for at least one, it worked!
818 posts
Great! Glad that it finally works!
Andrew / アンドリュー
  • Quick Links