get all points from Wrangle (detail)

10557   7   2
50 posts
How can I get all the points from a mesh while in detail mode. Primpoints will return only the pts of a single poly instead of everything. I could use point clouds and nearpoints functions, but they feel too redundant for the job. I also become dependent on the radius.
471 posts
Hello.
Use @numpt for getting total number of points and @numprim for total number of primitives.
50 posts
Isn't @numpt similar to int npoints? I need an array rather then the number of points so I can manipulate that data later.
670 posts
Do want to store all point positions into an array?

int npt = npoints(0); 
vector all_pos[];
resize(all_pos, npt);

for(int i = 0; i < npt; i++) {
all_pos[i] = point(0, "P", i);
}

//v@test = all_pos[45];
https://procegen.konstantinmagnus.de/ [procegen.konstantinmagnus.de]
471 posts
Thunderbeast
Isn't @numpt similar to int npoints? I need an array rather then the number of points so I can manipulate that data later.

Yes, it is similar to int npoints but you use a variable instead of calling a function.
npoints should use whenever you want number of points from the other inputs of wrangle node (second, third an so on).
50 posts
No, I actually need the point id's but then the code remains nearly the same. Just an extra @ptnum attribute beforehand. I forgot that when you delete geometry the point ID's rearrange so i totally dismayed using loops.
Thanks to both!
670 posts
There is a difference between point numbers (can change) and point IDs (stay).

If you want to store point numbers, just use a pointwrangle with
i@id = @ptnum;
before you setup a detailwrangle.
https://procegen.konstantinmagnus.de/ [procegen.konstantinmagnus.de]
50 posts
Just to clarify (my noobness) you're calling point ID's the attribute numbers and point numbers the first column in the geometry spreadsheet. In that case both will have the same value unless there is node before the detail wrangle that changes the numbers.
Also
i@id = @ptnum;
is the almost the same as what i meant to say. Adding an attribute create node set to points with value @ptnum. Sorry for not properly explaining how I add the attribute.
  • Quick Links