Exporting Alembic Problem

4728   5   1
13 posts
Hello.

I have imported an OBJ file into Houdini.

When I export the geometry as Alembic the geometry looks incorrect.

The poly count is the same. Attached is a screenshot in C4D of the OBJ vs ABC file. Any suggestions on how I can keep the geometry identical when exporting as ABC?

Attachments:
alembic.jpg (87.7 KB)

2531 posts
It looks like to me that the UVs are messed up on the Alembic. Each face needs to be horizontally flipped.

Just recently I tried to get C4D to import an Alembic from Houdini and it claimed the file was invalid.

How do you import your Alembic into C4D? I used File/Merge, is there another way?
Using Houdini Indie 20.0
Windows 11 64GB Ryzen 16 core.
nVidia 3050RTX 8BG RAM.
13 posts
Is there any easy way to realign the UV's?

To Export to Alembic into C4D:

On older versions of C4D you have to change the Alembic type to HDF5 rather than the default(Ogawa).
Staff
327 posts
Do the UVs look different after you re-import the Alembic archive into Houdini?
323 posts
Hi there,
im- and export has been always a pain…

Maybe you should try this with a test geometry, like a teapot or a torus with a uv test map.
This way you could post the C4D objs and the houdini scene here. Otherwise its like pokeing in the dark…

kind regards

Olaf
Edited by Olaf Finkbeiner - Sept. 19, 2017 10:11:58
13 posts
I ended up exporting the OBJ from C4D as an Alembic File (.abc) and it is working correctly now. I assume that importing the OBJ and Exporting as Alembic caused the issue. I'm sure there is an easy fix, but just keeping everything as Alembic works very well.
Edited by byronfillmore - Sept. 19, 2017 13:15:40
  • Quick Links