Boolean Subtract in Editor

4374   2   1
3 posts
Hi there,

I've been trying to use a boolean operator with object A being an object generated in houdini and object B being something referenced in the editor using the object merge node.

I can't seem to get any of the boolean operators to work as expected and I'm not even sure if it is even supported.

I'd like to use it as a way to cut holes in walls for doors and windows that are more tailored to fit more complex shapes by provided a cutout mesh like below:

If I could just reference a mesh placed in the outliner or get the transforms an object placed in the outliner than feed the cutout shape I want back into houdini it would solve the issue.

But at this point I can't figure out how to get a simple boolean subtract to work.

Attachments:
MultiBoolean.png (59.6 KB)
Boolean.png (13.2 KB)

181 posts
Unless the assets you describe are some kind of special Houdini Digital Assets (OTLs), then a boolean subtraction operation ought to work as expected.

In your example, try merging Assets 1 and 2 into a single entity first (serving as boolean input A), then wire in Asset 3 as boolean input B.

Also, make sure the primitive type of all your sources is either polygon or polygon mesh.
3 posts
Thanks for the help.

All I needed to do was under the Object Merge convert the input to a polygon.

Not sure if this is desired or not but it appears that Houdini Engine doesn't recognize Static Meshes as Polygons.

The only other issue I had was with transforms, but as long as you set the Transform parameter to Into This Object in the Object Merge node it works all good.
  • Quick Links