Chop File read error on any audio file

2746   10   1
28 posts
Using Indy on CentOS 6.9

I'm trying to import any audio file at all and I get the same error no matter what type, freq settings, or location (network or local) I try:

Unable to read file “(null)”

They play fine on my machine (CentOS, Mac OS) using other software. No luck in Houdini, though.
Kind of a show stopper.
Am I missing something simple?

T
2036 posts
Post your hip file. I know the file to be reached won't be available to us locally, but it might clear up whether your trying to access it correctly.

I do this often with no problems on win( import audio to CHOPs), so maybe it might be something to do with your Cent OS. ( if your set up is correct in Houdini)
28 posts
Thx. Not much to post:

New blank hip file. Create Chopnet. Dive inside. Create File node. Point to audio file.

T
28 posts
Doesn't seem like Maya wants to import the audio files either.
Nuke does, however.
So I converted the audio to curves, exported out as a raw ascii file, renamed it to .chan and brought that into chops. Seems to be working… hard to tell if it all lines up without being able to hear the audio, though.

T
2036 posts
Is your audio in .wav format?
28 posts
I tried .aif, .aiff, .wav, and .mp3.
I tried 48,000kHz and 44,100kHz.
I tried mono and stereo.

…in all 3 formats.

I try to be thorough.

T
2036 posts
It seems like your not really doing anything wrong, and would say file a bug report.

But you also say Maya won't import either, so you may have better luck if maybe going on a Cent OS forum and ask for help there - might be some setting or directory set up of the OS that is the problem.

Or, just maybe Houdini needs a proper setup in it's .env file.

Hopefully someone else who knows better can give you a response on this thread.
28 posts
Interestingly Nuke on Linux will read and write ProRez 4444 .mov files (oddly, Blender does as well). I wonder if that has something to do with the audio.
However, the Movie Player app on CentOS will play all of the files I've tried.

Seems like some functionality is missing from both Houdini and Maya when dealing with audio on linux.

T
4 posts
I am getting the same error on all kinds of audio files on my mac. On the pc it works fine. Must be a bug, I have sent a report.

Cheers,
Mats
4 posts
Discovered that the files not working were 24 bit, when playing 16 bit audio everything is ok.

Mats
28 posts
matsblomberg
Discovered that the files not working were 24 bit, when playing 16 bit audio everything is ok.

Mats

Yep. That's it. Thx for tracking that down!

T
  • Quick Links